Thursday, October 30, 2014

Dog training!


Um.....I love school. Like as in a really really a lot. As in I can't wait to get there and I smile all through class and LOVE IT! Part of it is because I am past my general classes and get to do the classes that are just for my major and that are very interesting to me.

I NEVER planned on going back to school. 

I ALWAYS planned on staying home and homemaking my whole life long. 

I am  EMBARRASSED that I did the typical mid life crisis thingy and had to go do something for "me" now. 

Kristopher said I definitely had a major mid life crisis. 

SO EMBARRASSING!!!!!!! I did the exact thing that is stereotypical for a 40 year old housewife. 

So five days and no sugar. Feeling awesome. Feeling free. Not missing it. Well a tiny bit when I saw a Reese's Peanut Butter cup on commercial. I was like "ohhh....hello sweet little friends". I love those. But I am NOT going to risk going back into bondage wanting sweets. I am not. 

Okay....So Brody.

First I need to tell my awesomely awesome neighbor friends that I am so sorry our dog chased your little girl down the street and bit her bike tire and nipped her bummy. I am assuming he was herding her. 

But I took it very seriously. But I couldn't just get rid of the dog because I have a 12 year old boy who threatened to run away if I did. 

So I signed Brody up for THREE MONTHS of dog training. 

And I took him to the vet and got him on anti anxiety pills. IT DOESN'T EVEN SURPRISE ME THAT WE JUST HAPPEN TO GET A DOG WITH ANXIETY. It is just the way the universe works. Of course the one dog we would pick would have mental illness. Of course. 

And I bought him a muzzle so that he can't bite. He hasn't actually broken skin but he sometimes makes me nervous. 

So our first day of dog training was SO fascinating. 

The dog trainer completely ignored Brody. In about three minutes Brody went up and sniffed her and wanted attention. Dog trainer ignored her. Brody was comfortable. 

Another lady comes to Brody and calls him and wanted to pet him. Brody growls at her. 

The dog trainer observes that Brody cannot handle any pressure on him. (Which is why he DOES NOT like our little kids 
who maul him all the time. 

The dog trainer also talked about the way Brody carries himself is very unlike a border collie. He has no confidence and is very scared. She says he is growling because of fear and not meanness. 

She said anyone who comes to our house 
needs to completely ignore him. 

And since he has been on the anti anxiety medicine he has really done a LOT better. So I have hope. 

So one of the first steps was teaching Brody he was NOT in trouble when we put the muzzle on him. So she helped me and she just stuffed hi full of treats. He soon left the muzzle alone and quit fighting with it.





Then we worked with him at home...


Treat after treat



 Introducing Hannibal Lector! 


Brody seems to oddly feel safer in his muzzle as well. And I can relax because I don't have to worry about him. And when we practice socializing him at dog training it is good because people are like "RED ALERT! DOG WITH MUZZLE!!!!" And no one tries to pet him. So that helps Brody be more relaxed and not feel like anyone 
is expecting something from him. 

The trainer taught me the coolest thing to get Brody to heel. I'll tell you tomorrow. I had also bought a shock caller but the trainer said it wasn't the best method with Brody
 because he is so timid. 

We have taught him about six really great tricks. He is actually getting very well trained. 

Okay, talk to you later!

No comments:

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...