Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Last night I ran my first real life group. Running a group is probably actually called facilitating. So my job was to basically kind of lead who was going to talk next or if I wanted to call on someone etc and then I give minimal feedback because this group and the group attendees are really taught and encouraged to give each other feedback. It's a real supportive group for these people. Because who knows more about what it is like to be in prison then these people. So they have some of the best insight for each other. I love it because as social workers we are taught that our job is to teach the people that they have the answers within themselves. After all of my years of therapy I am finally starting to realize that I have the answers in me and I don't need my therapist or husband or parents or friends to tell me what the answer is. I have been taught that I have the answers and they can be just as good of answers as anyone else has. Kristopher helped teach me that. And my newest therapist Rachel has been really good about that. And honestly my sister in law Tracy. She has been instrumental in pounding it my head that I don't need any one else's opinions. That I have this.That my answers and opinions are good enough. 

Anyway, all that to say....I ran group. And it went just fine. 

So, Corey and I drove to Nampa to have my interview for graduate school. It wasn't scary but it was pretty overwhelming when I learned what the classes entail and the work schedule. The interview was way more intense than anyone else I know who has applied there. I heard they have made some changes so they must be beefing up things. It was a 2.5 hour interview. Two role plays, an essay portion, an interview and question and answer. It went well. I DESPISE role plays. But thankfully the guy (a former student, now a therapist)  I was role playing with was kind and he made it very easy. I didn't receive any negative feedback and one of my answers they said was the best they had heard all day, it was only 1:00 pm haha. The answer seriously just came from my mom skills, not any of my education. :)


 A few days later I was accepted! So wahoo.....and I'm concerned! I am going to quit saying I am scared. Every time I am scared it seems pointless by the time I am done with whatever I was scared of. So I am concerned. Can I do the work load without my sweetie BYU-I kids to help me, Can I do it? Will it be too hard? Am I smart enough? Am I sacrificing my little kids to chase dreams (to that answer, I have no better options. I have to do this. It isn't just about dreams. It is about other family circumstances including Corey's Lupas)? Etc Etc. 


It makes me smile how proud my mom is of me. 

1 comment:

Angie said...

IM proud of you too! You make me think of the memes that say "Don't grow up, it's a trap!" or "I can't adult today, don't make me adult!" 😉 You are adorable and capable and I LOVE you!

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...