Saturday, June 14, 2014

I think I belong in the zoo, too.


So when we were suppose to drop Kassidy off to the MTC it is in another State from us. Since we rarely do anything for a vacation I just knew we had to stay over night and I knew I wanted the kids to all go down and see her off. 

A pro to that was it was fun and the kids had some good bonding time and we got to do a few fun things. 

The one con was this.... it sort of intensified the whole goodbye. It kind of worked it up into this huge event that was happening the next day. By the time the drop off actually happened I think we were all a bit stressed and ready for it to get done with. 

So one of the fun things we did was the Hogle zoo. We had never been. 

We went on a hot day and many animals were asleep but we still had a fun time. I won't bore you with too many pictures of animals but I will show you my top few favorites. 

These things are the cutest little things on earth. I have always adored them. They look so beautiful with their perfectly coiffed hair!!!!

 Did you know I absolutely love bats? They are so so so cool. Tiny bit creepy how they have these weird wings they also use to like walk on (I guess) but if you look at bats up close they are just cute. 


The giraffe did absolutely nothing exciting. But I loved him.




Justine wore this shirt. I thought it was because of the lion but apparently not. She got it at Target (Mary) It's her favorite shirt.


 My favorite zoo animals!!!!


One of my favorite things to do is to watch my family watching the animals. 









DARLING! I'd love to work at a zoo.


The cutest little buddies at the whole zoo!


This guy was taking his finger and touching a little seed, the size of a piece of barley. Over and over again. He was working very hard at getting all these little seeds that were scattered about. I don't know how he was even tasting them or what the appeal was. but it was cute and tricky the way he would touch them with his finger and get them to stick and then put the little seed in his mouth.


Kassidy just couldn't get over these adorable little cats. (I had never seen wild cats that looked like normal house cats.) She was also disturbed that they were is a zoo and not with humans to pet and love them.



Because Kassidy was already "set apart" as a missionary she had to follow mission rules. Some of those rules include wearing a dress, bed by 10:30, up by 6:30, no music or TV. No electronics. She did a funny thing. I think it is torturous but she told me that right before she handed over her i pod she text-ed a boy from college and told him she "liked" him. And then she gave me the i pod and that was that. WOW. Kassidy was a great sport about wearing a dress the whole time.


Justine adores elephants. We got there right in time to see a little elephant show. It was awesome. The elephants did all of these tricks for treats. It was pretty cute and neat.


























Doesn't she look great!!!!!???? Her shoes gave her blisters. darn. 



So Justine and I were checking out the back of a monkey that looked so soft and cute. We were both like ohhhhh.....

And then it turned around. And Justine went "ohhhhhh.......Wooooaaaaaahhhhhhhoooooooooohhhhhh" in complete creeped out and freaked out and shocked horror mode. 

The monkey was super creepy looking. He had this round head and these crazy round eyes and he was freaky. I laughed and laughed at Justine. It was funny. But he was a little creepy looking.

Also, when we were in the different houses (especially the reptile house) the kids were like "mom, look!" "mom, check this out" over and over and over. Mom, mom, mom! It was a bit exhausting and impossible but I really loved it. I loved that I was the one that they wanted to show what they thought was interesting. I love mothering. I love it. I know I ma tired and burned out and I complain and want to hang out with friends and have lunch dates, and be a college student, etc. etc. but mothering has been the joy of my life. I hope my kids always feel that. 

I'm feeling rather depressed tonight. Not because Kassidy is gone but because sometimes (as blessed as I am in many many ways) there are burdens that are very confusing and very hard. And it is hard to always make the right choice and even know what the right choices are. And to know if you are crazy or should be normal or give up or fight harder.

And today was a sweet day because I cleaned and cooked all day like I use to and I cleaned up all of Kassidy's "room", (she did not pack up one single thing of hers, I think she couldn't deal with it.) I cleaned my closet and got the kids to do jobs, and held the lizard with Nathan and had a good day at home like olden times.

I don't want to work and go to school (okay, I do) and be away from my children (okay, sometimes I do). I just want to stay home and be mom and have babies again (can't).

See? I'm conflicted and I ate like 15 cookies. I need professional help...oh....yeah. I already have that.






No comments:

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...