Monday, June 7, 2010

Don't you love it when something smells gross and you have to try to get other people to smell it? Why is that, I wonder.

I have NEVER really been a candle person. I don't really like a whole lot of "fake" smells, and after my mom in law had a house fire due to a lit candle, I sort of never like them. Plus I can't keep the kids from blowing them out. Plus I don't like to keep matches anywhere obvious. And if you don't know why then you haven't been reading my blog long enough. And when we moved into this house the person before us used candles and there was black something all over the house. So I really never use them.

I have a friend who asked me to give a "scentsy" party. I didn't really know what they were but because I just might be the wimpiest person alive I said yes anyhow. In case you care, "scentsy" turns out to be candles. Blah blah.

But after I got to selling them for the book party, and smelling the fifty bazillion samples she left with me, and seeing that they are fireless and only warmed by a light bulb, and seeing the adorable little jars you put them in, I might have changed my mind. Plus, thanks to my cool sis in law who got me a whole bunch of orders, I got a ton free.

So Justine and Kassidy and I were smelling like over a hundred samples, to choose which one we wanted. We had a good system of deciding if we like them or not. We would each open one and let the others smell and then put in a yes or no pile. Justine insisted we keep one because it smelled like her dad. How do you say no to that. She also wanted to keep one that smelled like camping. I kept one that smelled like my favorite flower smell, gardenia. Kassidy of course wanted to keep the one called "flirtatious". We had a good little, torturous decision making, time.

As we were smelling, our noses burning, the headache queen of America (Justine) getting a headache, I came to this one smell that just about floored me. I had to smell it a few times before my brain could recall the smell. The scent was called, "Inner Peace"

I told Justine, as I put the sample under her nose, "This is the smell when they hand you your new baby at the hospital." And it was. Heaven. So Heaven.

She says,"Is that why it is called Inner Peace?"

Very wisdomy. Because maybe this isn't the case for everyone, but bearing children and having my family has been my inner peace. (even if it has led to my outer chaos!) I can think of no better time in my life then those first few days in the hospital with a brand new baby. And the fabulous hospital crushed ice. It is all just so grand and so...all that is wonderful and sacred.

I carried that sample in my pocket all day and smelled it occasionally. I also ordered a brick of it. I think I will just keep it somewhere special. And when I need to, or want to, I will pull it out for a little smell and go back in time and remember those gifted days I was so blessed to experience.

Although I am the wimpiest person alive, I am the bravest when it comes to laughing at myself. So I thought you might enjoy the following crazy after labor "me". I never was one of those cute little pregnant girls who just have a basket ball on their front. How I covet them! Like on a regular basis.

Anyway, here it goes...

I had basically spent the whole night crying and worrying about giving birth. I was THREE, yes you read right, THREE weeks late! I didn't even care because I was so scared to go through child birth. Oh. Hilarious picture! Sandals and all. I had no dignity left! What is up with that miniature purse strap?



Kassidy. I remember after we got home, Corey and I left her for an hour with my mom to go get take out. The whole time I was just swooning to Corey. "Don't we have the cutest baby ever?" I was IN LOVE! Thus began my journey.


Very soon after, here comes baby # 2! I love this little picture of Kassidy. Her whole world about to change. We got pregnant super fast... again... on purpose! Kassidy (not even that close to one yet when I got pregnant) was so wonderful and cute we wanted another one! Ha ha! Oh the naiveté! It's classic.

Justine- We knew that was her name. Little petite thing born with a broken collar bone. We didn't know it at first but when I would hold her I could hear the occasional grinding.

When I came home from the hospital with her arch enemy, Kassidy would have NOTHING to do with me. Only my mother could help her. I was broken hearted. CRUSHED. She wouldn't let me get her a drink...nothing! My older and wiser friend came over who had raised eight children. She told me one of her kids did that and she shared the funny story and we laughed and my heart un broke a little and I carried on.

Nathan... Best baby of the bunch! Went like more than two weeks without a name because I was unsure and Corey only wanted Nathan. He does that. He finds one or two names and can't budge.

#4 Rhett- Cutie pie! Gag that short hair! (me, not Rhett) Way adorable baby. Was just barely home from the hospital when his brother turned his car seat up side down. He was still strapped in just hanging away.

My little lovey, Bo. I swear I had given birth to my sister in law. He looked so much like Aunt Sherri. Sorry for that visual. He has a different nose from all five of the other children. Round like Corey's. Not square like mine. Fussiest baby. I remember before we even got out of the hospital I knew I was in for trouble. Now my loviest kid!



Kate...I lost thirty pounds in a week or two after this baby. I was so swollen with toxemia. Because of this toxemia issue and the severity of it, unless I see an angel, she will probably be my last. I know you are all dying to know... Devastating. And a bit "Yea" all at the same time. I spent two weeks on bed rest after she was born. Nuts! But it was good. We got to bond. And watch Texas Walker Ranger.

See what a few smells do to you? They make you go clear through memory lane. Maybe that is why Julie is so successful at selling "scentsy".

5 comments:

tiffany sackley said...

Beautiful kids! It actually makes me a bit excited for our new little one to come out now. And can I say my new favorite quote, "Family: inner peace and outer chaos!" Well said.

Anonymous said...

You are seriously the funniest "blogger"!

Pirate Princess said...

"Ugh the short hair. Me, not Rhett." - hahahaha! I'm so proud of you - these are fabulous little stories for your posterity! Great job, Susan! :D

kirstensblog said...

Every picture that I saw, I said, "wow she is so beautiful!" And then the next picture, "wow she is even MORE beautiful" and then the next picture WOW even MORE beautiful. I hope that is because our souls grow and get more and more beautiful and then it spills out. I want that. Even with your ugh hair. I laughed at that because I said the wow thing and then I read the ugh thing. Ha ha.

Susan said...

Kim said...Susan, I truly look forward to your blog. I love your writing. I love your stories. I can see why Corey loves YOU so much. You are an amazing mom and wife. Keep smiling and keep shining! And thank you for sharing!
Nancy said...Oh! Those were sweet times! So glad I was there even if a little late as in Justine's birth! We love all our Special grandchildren! Thanks Susan and Wendy!
Linda Jensen said...Fascinating! I enjoyed the pics of the babies.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...