Saturday, October 8, 2011

Something bad about me

I have a really bad quality.

You might have it also. But I have had it for a very long time. I have learned that it is a great tool of Satan's and that it quickly leads me down a path of depression like nothing else can. In fact it leads me down more than a path of depression. It leads me down a path of envy and sometimes mean feelings towards those I am envious of.

It is that of comparing myself to others. And it is almost always me comparing my worst to their best.

Or comparing their wonderful qualities of discipline, decorating skills, and musical ability to my.... lack of them. Not remembering my own wonderful qualities that they may not possess.

We just can't be everything. We are some of some things and less of other things. And I have learned that aside from sin and yelling at my children(which likely falls under the sin category), comparing is one of the things that me the most unhappy. And it is something I do. I wish I wouldn't.

I am thinking about this because I have been very depressed today. And aside from staying up until 2 am watching a GREAT MOVIE (go see!!!!) and talking and laughing with friends which has made me super tired and grumpy today, all this comparing has made me sad.

I need to switch it around. And remember the key to happiness. Gratitude.

4 comments:

Pirate Princess said...

Absolutely my friend! I am so guilty of this over and over - which is why I have to leave the internet for a time... recoup... get back into the swing of things... leave... recoup... it's a cycle, and each time we get stronger. Line upon line... I ♥ u!! YOU ARE SO AWESOME YOURSELF! Can I confess... sometimes I wish I was like you. ;)

Jennifer said...

Susan, I am so sorry you are down. One thing I absolutely love about the you I've gotten to know through this blog, is your testimony that you are a daughter of Heavenly Father. I struggle with comparisons, too, though. It's such a nasty tool of discouragement. Blast that Satan! But deep down I KNOW that Heavenly Father never compares us to others, so nor should we.

Hugs from someone who admires you greatly.

Anonymous said...

Me should be more like you also.

Anonymous said...

Suzanne said...Is this why I heart you, Susan? Hehe! I do the SAME dang thing! You are NOT alone on this one! I'm glad you are trying to find a positive attitude with this in particular. You are a great example to me and I am grateful to have friends like you who are REAL and talk about being HUMAN! =) (And I want to see that movie, too!)

Heather said...Love you !!! You are amazing!!!

Amy said...Yer just envious of my house keeping skills today, aren't you? Now, I'm depressed for you!

Sherri said...You are an amazing person Susan! So lucky to have you as a sis in law. Love you! You are an inspiration! Love you

Nancy said...We all have qualities that we don't like about ourselves! Don't dwell on the ones you think are bad, someone else always wishes they were you!

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...