Saturday, November 12, 2011

It's hard to be the mother of a super star.

Ugh! Broken heart today.

I don't know why I have to get so devastated by stuff.

Today Corey and I drove Rhett to his 11 o'clock basketball game which really started at 10.

So.... we. missed. the. whole. thing.

And we played a hard team, (well, not us, because we were late and missed it) and we (well again, not us) were creamed.

And all of Rhett's team saw him arrive and were so disappointed saying to him things like, "Where were you? We needed you". And they were sad. The coach's son was so cute though, telling me that they only lost by 16 points and that they were able to keep the other team from getting 30 points when they usually got more than that.

And Rhett was trying to act like no big deal but I could see him take a drink of his bottle and he was trying hard not to cry. And I could tell his sweetest coach known to all mankind was disappointed and frustrated too.

And so on the drive home I cried the whole way. And I cried the whole time Rhett and Corey and Justine when in a fast food place for a corn dog. I sat in the car and cried. And wrote this blog on a piece of McDonald's bag that was trash in my car. Because that is my release. Writing. Sort of. Because I could still cry now over it.

I cried because I hated so much disappointing my boy. And missing his game and watching him play because he is a joy to watch. Because he is pretty good, as in.... (can I say this humbly?).....he is the lead player. And that is why his team was sad he was gone. All because I wrote it down wrong on my stupid calendar.

After crying and driving, and driving and crying, which is totally humiliating in front of the whole fam, Rhett finally said, sweetly and perplexed over the girly emotions, "it's only a game..." and for the rest of the day he could have cared less and I could have started crying about it at any point throughout the day.

I even called one of my friends who is a parent to ask her to tell me I was okay. (I am words of affirmation, you know) and she was napping so I even cried a minute over the phone to her sweet husband who was also there, and he had to tell me I was a good mom and that it was okay. Basically because I told him I needed someone to tell me I was okay. And he did. And although he probably thinks I am mental now I felt loads better. And what a nice guy. He said he would contact Rhett in twenty years and make sure he knew how much I cared.

I just take things like that so seriously. I wish I didn't. but I do. Like thirteen years ago I still remember and feel sick over forgetting to send Kassidy to preschool in pajamas on pajama day when I had just had a new baby. I was so crushed that I did that. I cried then too. And like the time I bit Bo trying to teach him to quit biting his little vampire fangs into Kate, only I bit too hard, and then felt terrible and cried ALL day over that. Or the time I forgot to sign up Justine to show her rabbit at the fair and we went there and she wasn't able to show and it was all my fault. I went to plead with the people in charge but it was in vain and I cried my head off walking through the fair. Sometimes it just hurts to be the mom.

I mean the One Thousand and One appointments and scheduling I DO get right and I should recognize that I am doing pretty good but instead I just have a broken heart over the one I screwed up on. Cause I just remember the sad face when we realized we had missed the whole game. And it was mine!

:( It was very sad, but I take comfort that Rhett doesn't even care anymore. So why do I still?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carolyn said...I love your blog, and share your pain when we Moms do things, or forget things that our children suffer for. I'd like to have a do-over with that part of my life. We just have to realize that we are human and all of us Moms are trying our best. I realize now that my Mom always tried her best even when I thought otherwise.

Jennifer said...

You care still because you are a sensitive, loving person. Remember to think of your sensitivity as a strength. Years from now will your kids remember all the appointments you scheduled and kept? Probably not. Will they remember your compassion? Yes.

Anonymous said...

Carolyn said...I love your blog, and share your pain when we Moms do things, or forget things that our children suffer for. I'd like to have a do-over with that part of my life. We just have to realize that we are human and all of us Moms are trying our best. I realize now that my Mom always tried her best even when I thought otherwise.

Anonymous said...

Missy said...Oh, how I can relate and I only have 2! You are a great mom to hold down anything over 2 with only a few slips!

Mary said...you are HUMAN, we've all done this, with a lot less children and smaller schedules to keep track of-have you kids put their own schedules on their bdrm. walls, plus your calendar, the older ones can share in the responsibility.

Kim said...Susan, you're such a great mom! With moments like these, you can teach your kids that you are human and make mistakes as a parent - just like they will when they are parents. And you can teach them by forgiving yourself that it's ok to make mistakes and the goal is to do better next time.
I have one child and even I forgot to pick her up at the bus stop on an early release day (and she was in kindergarten!). Next thing you know she is knocking on our front door (with a neighbor mom standing in the background with judging eyes). When I opened the door, her jaw dropped in complete disbelief and she said, "Moooom! You forgot me!" I felt like the worst mom in the world. I understand the disappointment. Susan, you have six kids and do a fantastic job with them. It's obvious how much you love them and how much they love YOU.
Hope you feel better today! ♥

Kelly said...Okay I bawled reading this to my girls! We have all done this at one time or another....Hang in there! You can always call me and tell me what happen and more than likely I can top it with something more humiliating that I have never forgotten either...Love you much!

Nancy said...I am so sorry that happened, I can't imagine the schedule you have and how you manage so well! You are a great mom and your children love you so much. Don't be so hard on yourself! Love ya!

Suzanne said...Oh Susan ~ we have SO much in common!! I can SO relate on several levels! I totally understand where you are coming from and why. Unfortunately sometimes, these are the toughest lessons for us moms to overcome and look past. One of the things I love about kids is that even when they are disappointed, they are QUICK to forgive! You are an amazing mom to run 8 different schedules every day and to be as organized as you ~ I have a hard time with just us 4 at home! I don't know HOW you do that all, but I sure do admire you!! Hang in there & know it's OK! If our kids all thought we were perfect, we would surely be doing them a big disservice... =)

Suzanne said...Kim ~ thanks for sharing your story ~ I feel better already, too! =)

Susan said...Kim, I loved your story too. It was so cute and sad.

Susan said...Thanks for all the "love" guys!November 13 at 6:38pm · LikeUnlike.Cathy Winchester Barrus Oh my heck Susan! Did I sneak over there and write that! I so get that! Thanks for sharing!

Susan said...I wondered if you might relate to some odf the pressure since your son is such an athlete....new experience for me!

Cathy W. said....Definately! One of the worst one's for me was when I was the PTO president for our elementary school. The PTO was in charge of the refreshments for the retirement party for the prinicpal. I had stopped into the school, and the secretary was afraid that we didn't have enough food. So, I decided I had enough time to go in to get more food before school was over. I raced in and got back to the school just in time to see my son's third grade program get over. I missed the entire thing. The part that made me the most mad was that I put the needs of someone else ahead of my own child. How could I forget the program?!?!?

Susan said...Ugh! At least it sounds like we are all in the same boat.November 13 at 10:54pm · LikeUnlike.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...