Thursday, March 22, 2012

Feeling deeply grateful and blessed and quite a bit disheartened tonight. My boy is fighting a battle of a lifetime and for a lifetime, I am afraid.

I had parent teacher conferences today. Chatted with Rhett's teacher. He is still struggling with his dyslexia which is no new news. Struggling big time. Reading is slowly coming along. Writing...not at all. Math....not by much. Piano....we quit.

Something is honestly and truly locked in his brain.And we don't have the key.

The thing is....he is smart. He is competent. He is beautiful. He is funny. He is fiery. He is loving.
He is dyslexic. Severely. But we are not ashamed.

We are scared though. Really scared. But somehow I just know he can make it.

I was told recently by a dyslexic and a very educated man that dyslexia is actually a blessing. Because it opens up different parts of your brain. I think it's true. He recommended a book to me called "The Dyslexic Brain". A used copy on Amazon is 70 dollars! Wow. That has got to be some book!

So we are awaiting the blessings of dyslexia. So far it is a battle.

However, my deeply grateful part comes when I hear the teacher tell me that Rhett's little buddy Abram helps him with his math. I immediately could see the two of them working together in class. My heart swelled. He is the little guy who helped Rhett write that cheesy Valentine to me about "You are so beautiful that you look like an angel from heaven." Lol.

Then the teacher told me another buddy, Brady, bought Rhett a book from the book fair and put it on his desk to surprise him. He bought it because it had 3-D glasses on it. The kids see Rhett read with transparent paper. Brady must have thought these 3-D glasses would help him read like that blue transparent paper. Couldn't you just cry? Sweetest thing ever. Rhett was showing me the book tonight and it was darn cool.

So I am so incredibly blessed that my boy is in a safe place. With kids who have been trained to be good to each other. Where it is okay to need help.

He finally got to sign up for jujitsu. He has been super ecstatic. And I am super ecstatic. Because the men he now gets to rub shoulders with (or "roll" with I should say) are outstanding men. And I am trying to raise an outstanding man. And with his hardships I am thankful for all the great influences we can get.


Tonight I was thankful I got to go to my other son's orchestra concert. Nathan is the big brother in our family. When we drop Nathan off to orchestra class Kate will tell me "Nathan's a good boy."

 I love the violin. Love it. Love the cello. Love the bass. Love it all. I have wanted this to "stick" with Nathan and I think it finally is. A few weeks ago he had to miss orchestra. He was not happy. "We are playing a really good song!" he told me. And tonight he told me after the concert "The sad part about this (end of concert) is once you finish you wont get to play that song again." Score. Mission accomplished.

Grateful I got to go to the concert and listened to those songs. They soothe my soul. I even found myself closing my eyes to the music. It has a magic about it. Grateful for life's blessings.


Isn't he so handsome? He is growing like crazy.

Probably only Grandmas and Tiffany (violin teacher) will care to watch this lousy quality video but just in case...here it is.... Much to Nathan's disgust he had to sit in the front row. I was thrilled! I have more to say about violining and my boy but maybe another day.

3 comments:

Terri Porter said...

What a handsome young man. I am also so happy that Rhett has such good kids around him. Rhett holds a special place in my heart. Whenever I go to the classroom to help out, he is always such a good boy. He tries so hard. And he is really smart in math. He really is a smart boy, remind him of that everyday. My brother sufford from dyslexia and the teachers would tell my parents they thought he was "slow" or mildly retarded. So sad that my brother grew up thinking he was dumb.

Jennifer said...

You are such a loving mother, and I am inspired that no matter the situation, you choose to see the good. Bless you!

Kara said...

I was going to tell you this the other day, but I forgot. Now is as good a time as any! A few days ago Brooklin was rambling on about something, and then she said, "Out of all the boys in my class, I would only want to sit next to Rhett. He's super nice. He would be my favorite."

Susan, she seriously just randomly said that. She has a great radar for people's character, and she wouldn't have said it out loud if it didn't mean something important to her. She has a real fondness for him. I also happen to like Rhett very much, and he's always been nothing but sweet when I've been around him. You can even share this with him, because I know it wouldn't embarrass Brooklin.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...