Friday, March 30, 2012

My heart goes out to orphans.



I know. Every ones does. But it really is something I have cared about since a youth. I don't really know how to change the world. I just don't. It is too big and there are too many problems and too many orphans.

And I am barely muddling through maintaining my own life.

The beautiful thing about blogging is awareness. I have become so aware of other people who ARE doing something. Some of those people are in life situations where they are able to do something about this problem. And some of those people have just decided to do something because it is the right thing to do. Hard or not hard.

And these people are just normal people. But the things they are doing are amazing. I am EXTREMELY humbled by the things I have been reading on blogs about the people who are changing lives. I'll do another post about that later so don't get sick of me yet....

I want to do the best I can from my part of the world. Which for now is a very small and meager "best". It includes... posting a blog to raise awareness about orphans, helping a friend raise money, having a school cupcake bake sale where money is donated to an orphanage, reading a great book about a young girl* of 21 who has already adopted and is mothering 14 orphans, (She has my daughters name, that makes me dang proud), donating 10 bucks, reading another book that is entitled "It's not okay with me." ( I love that title), attempting to plan a highschool trip to visit an orphanage.

I want to help. Because it's not okay with me either. But I can only do what I can do. But I want to do a little more than I can do. It should hurt a little, right? Because isn't that the beauty of the sacrifice? Shouldn't it pinch a little (or a lot) to be a true sacrifice?

This is my beautiful friend Michelle.


She is a mother for sure! She has a mother's heart. The mother's heart where even if she didn't have children she would still be a mother. She is kind and loving and good. She is generous of spirit. She isn't perfect. But she is good. And her husband?..... He might be perfect. Just sayin'.

They have these cute little boys. Precious, sensitive, sweet boys.


And this one big boy,


who has stolen my heart. He has such great soul and charisma. He was my girls first date. He is uber cool. But don't you have to be to own the name Gunnar?


And one cool dog named "Indie"! Don't you love the picture?

Michelle has been weary of the plight of orphans for a long time too. We are sisters in this area.

She and her husband are going for it. They have committed to adopt to girls from the Congo. Two little sisters. Two little orphans. They have their pictures, they have their names.

The scary thing is that one turning four. Her time is growing short before she is old enough to get lost,  separated from her sibling, aging out of the orphanage and being turned out on the street, or abducted to be.... sold. SOLD. Can you even comprehend?

Guess what? We can help in our own little part of the world! We can spread her blog through our cyber world. We can spread it like wild fire. Isn't that power amazing?

Also guess what? Maybe you can't donate 100 dollars. I can't. But I can donate ten. And you probably can donate 10. And if a lot of people donate 10, then they will be able to get these girls home. And if you can donate more and the Spirit tells you it is the right thing to do, donate more.

Do what you want with this post. We all have to do what we feel is right. But these are good people. And little orphans. And the only stupid thing that stops their worlds from coming together... is money. I hate that.

I have always thought that if it weren't for the money, I could bring 100 orphans to our church today and they would be gone by night. Don't you think?

Please spread their blog. Like wildfire. Let's get it out of control.Can you imagine donations coming in out of control? These little sisters could be home in 6 months.

I could cry over it.

But if we all do nothing....waiting for someone else to do it....they won't be. Simple as that.

I could cry over it.

Here is Michelle's blog.... Enjoying the Journey.... to Africa. Please check it out. It has a great spot that gives the breakdown of where all the money goes. And if you have any questions feel free to ask her. She is the research queen.


*Katie...the 21 year old who adopted 14 girls and runs a ministry in Uganda. Please look at her blog also.http://kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com/ And watch the video of her story. I love the part about how we are suppose to love our neighbors as our selves. And she says "My self doesn't want to be starving. So I don't want other people in the world to be starving." I also love how she said that people sometimes think she is so lucky to have fallen into what she wanted to do for her life. And she feels like she didn't "fall" into it. It was right there in the Bible. Love this girl.*


No comments:

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...