Sunday, January 12, 2014

My college girl!

I wish I would have gotten around to writing this sooner. But I am back in school and busy busy.

One of the worst things I know will be true....the kids will be use to seeing me sit on my lap.

Corey is VERY miserable with his Lupus. It takes four months for the medicine to start working. It's really sad to watch someone get ill when they were perfectly strong and healthy before.

So I never wrote about dropping Kassidy off to college. It was such an exciting day. We had so much fun. I already wrote about the worries that occurred and she has proceeded to text me quite a bit which is okay. Today I haven't heard from her once. She is doing much better I believe, although her classes are challenging her and she still doesn't really have much excitement in the roommate department.

Here is a cute picture of her and her "friend" as I drove them up to their new adventure



Corey took her grocery shopping the night before and got her  a little bit to get her started.She has saved every bit to pay for her own living expenses and her housing and much of her tuition.


She can't ever just give me a normal smile! Her living room.


Dad came to help unload


We were shocked to see her apartment had an upstairs. The apartment situation has been a tad disappointing. The girls are spread out through the house and it isn't very conducive for fun, rowdy, roomate life. Her room roomate never came. So she has the room all to herself. Which she likes but I really wanted her to have the fun of roomate life. It is what it is, I guess. Also a little disappointing... of course the room they "showed" us is ot as nice as the room Kassidy got, mostly as far as closet space goes. But much to my joy, she is a simple girl and brought very little stuff. So she is fine.





I totally followed Kassidy's lead. I didn't know if she wanted me to stay or go or help her with her room or take off. She wanted me to stay. A lot. So I did.

She let me indulge my organizational side and I set up her desk for her.


and we hung up her posters...I mean I did. I swear she wanted me too.



And she organized her drawers. She only had two. 


Corey and Nathan patiently waited down stairs and watch cable. Yes. Cable. We didn't even have a TV in our apartment when I went to college.


Kassidy at her desk set up....with her crazy face. Won't just give me a decent smile!


I loved helping her. It was so much fun to get her set up on her new adventure.



 Her own little nook in the great big world of college.


I fit right in!!! She wanted me to stay!

.
Before Corey had to leave for work (we had driven separately) he took our college girl to eat at our favorite Mexican restaurant. It was fun. I always order some cream cheese and shrimp and crab burrito. Yum. This has been mine and Corey's favorite place for ever.


 After they left we decided to go walk around campus. Kassidy was very concerned about getting to her classes etc. The school had planned some get to know you things and there was a devotional and meeting for the new college parents. So we did those things and then we walked to every single class and timed ourselves. It was a crack up. And she had plenty of time to get there. All that walking is going to be so good for her.

The poor girl. She was just terrified. She didn't want me to go. She wanted me to come up the next day and hang out at the school function. She was so scared to talk to anybody. It broke my heart but I had to say no... and just let her "individuate" and be on her own. And struggle through it. That is what God does with us all the time.

We went to the book store. I told Kassidy I HAD to buy her something dumb and collegy. Like a banner or a magnet or a  mug or SOMETHING that was collegey and college pridey. I told her I GOT TO CHOOSE. I bought her a new belt of her choice and then I GOT TO CHOOSE something dumb. (I couldn't afford a sweat shirt) I got her this crazy stuffed monster with a BYU-I sweat shirt on. It was super ridiculous and perfect.

That night she wanted me so much to just stay long enough to go to the freshmen talent show. We talked about me spending night because NO roommates had even shown up and it was so weird! But Corey was gone overnight with Rhett at a camp out and I didn't want to leave my other kids home alone either!

We went to the talent show and just had the best time. It was so so fun. Yes, I was the ONLY parent there, sitting with all the college kids. But it was a great night and I did the wave. Lol. Did I tell you Gus told me I was a hip mom? Cause I listen to their music and watch their movies and such? So I totally am good to be there. ha ha.

Us at the talent show. My face is so OLD!!!! Crushes me.


When it was time to go it was the most awfullest thing ever. 

When we got back to her apartment at 10:30 two roommates (sisters who had been there before) were there. They are fairly quiet it seems. I felt like I needed to leave her. She at least was safe and not alone in her apartment. 

She started crying and then I started crying and it was seriously agonyish and I just said I'm leaving. But not before I told if she was miserable I would come back up and bring her home for the weekend. I probably shouldn't have said that but it was so so sad to just leave her there and it felt like I was leaving her there alone. 

Thankfully the school had get to know you stuff planned. And so they kept her busy.

I think she is pretty happy now and we have been seeing each other on the days I have classes up there.

Speaking of classes....I am grateful to my parents for helping me with Kate so I can take some classes. She is in HEAVEN with their attention.

I am loving my two classes up at the college. I am also taking one online one. So far it is is blah. but whatever.

I am taking Human Biology and I have the cutest teacher on planet earth. His personality is so sweet and funny and he loves biology and told us so like 40 times. I am pretty proud of myself because the first classes I was almost desperately worried about how unsmart I was. I didn't understand anything we were talking about. Atoms, matter, lipids, molecules of life...HUH?????

But I reviewed and reviewed and Newell helped me at work (he is stinkin' smart) and it is pretty clear in my head now. And I feel very excited about that! My professor said the class was hard and would be a lot of work. But I feel like I learned so little in high school, I am excited to gain knowledge.

The other class I am taking is a religion class. It is being taught by a guy Corey and I knew as young married people. He is awesome and it is a very fulfilling class.

So school is making me pretty happy right now. Although I am exhausted. I truly fell asleep in class the other day. It was so terrible. 






No comments:

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...