Friday, December 2, 2011

Bad boys Bad boys whatcha going to do whatcha going to do when they come for you! (theme song from Cops)

It was an exciting day for us a few months ago! In trying to help Rhett get his "Bear" for cub scouts we were able to go have a tour of the police station.


AND WE GOT TO SIT IN A REAL LIFE HOLDING CELL!!!!!!!!






From a girl who loves the show "Cops", it was a thrill!


See the chain? Where one would be handcuffed and everything? The boys were pretending to be handcuffed, too bad the two of them couldn't get their acts together to look good in the same picture! :)



I was totally grossed out at all the germs that just might be in there from the criminals but that didn't stop me from getting a picture of my boy posing in the room. Will you all pray with me that that will be his only time there!

Also, the boys got to sit in the interrogation room. I commented how I maybe wouldn't want to sit that close to the interrogatee. There are top secret camera everywhere and the boys got to check all those out as well.
They were in a bit of heaven.




SO the cop that gave us a tour seriously had a New York accent. It was the perfect atmosphere. He gave a most thorough tour also. It was great.


He taught the boys how to grip their hands so they can't get away...




He let us check out all the details of his cop car...



and he showed us the awesome .....I want to call it the criminology room....room where they have all the finger prints in the world (ya think?) and then they showed us on the computer a finger print that they had found on a burglary and they found it matched a finger print in the computer which led them to the name of the criminal! AMAZINGLY cool! I could have a job like that!


So there was one really sad part of the tour. I know the police officer was just trying to help encourage the boys about how important education was but it was a pretty painful moment.


You see, for years and years Rhett has wanted to be a snow plow driver or a police man. (Bo wants to be an ice cream truck driver! Ha ha)

I think a police man is a noble profession and although I would be a worried mother I would also be proud. Also, I assume since policemen are out saving the world they are not spending a lot of time reading and that might be a good fit for my boy.

So this sweet "old timer" police man says to Rhett and his friend....


"If you want to be a policeman you have to learn to read and write".... *crickets*


"Really, reading and writing is a must. You have to stay in school and learn to read and write!" *chirp chirp*


"Reading and writing is very important if you want to be a police man." *chirp*


"Reading...." AAHHHAAAAAHHH! Enough already!!!!! You are destroying the dreams of my little boy with every "read and write" you say!!!!!



So later Rhett and I discussed it. And I explained the situation to him. Yes. A policeman need to read and write but what that policeman was really saying was to stay in school and learn.


Rhett admitted that when he said that it hurt and discouraged him a little. That was one of the first times he has expressed a little sadness about his dyslexia.


I assured him that he will for sure be able to read and write enough to be a police man and he needn't worry about it anymore.


Then I out him in a choke hold so he could practice being a police man caught by a bad guy. Boo. That didn't really happen. But it should have. That would have been right up Rhett's alley. He is a VERY physical boy!


I love him. He's a darlin'. I hope he behaves as a teen. It is just so scary that my heart has to walk around attached to them and being subject to pain with their EVERY decision!

1 comment:

Emily said...

I am not writing this to discourage you, I promise, but reading and writing really is a HUGE part of it. For everything that an office does, he has to write a report about it. For every bit of excitement that a cop might have, they have to spend a couple hours writing reports about it. The reports are used for court cases, so they must be written in a very clear way and be very detailed. However, they give each office a voice recorder that would help Rhett "write" his report out loud, then put it to paper.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...