Monday, June 8, 2015

A good brother will drink a whole pot of water for you!


I'm just a little germaphobic. I have a lot of OCD issues. 

I CANNOT touch MANY things without washing my hands RIGHT AWAY afterwards. 

The vacuum. Even if I am just moving it from one room to another.

The broom.
Dustpan
Pets (which I think is normal)
the flusher on the toilet (even if I didn't use the bathroom.)
The washing machine or dryer
Laundry baskets
Feet
Socks
Trashcans

Is any of this normal? I don't know. Do you guys do this? I think it is normal. Looking through this list I am like it's normal. Those are all dirty things. 

All of this to say that when my little girl hands me a tea cup that was being used all day yesterday by her and cousins and left laying around all day with water in it from the toy pot that may or may not have been recycled...

I had to FORCE myself to drink a little because I didn't want to reject my little darling. 

I was very amused a few minutes later when Rhett mentioned that yesterday she made him drink a whole pot of water from the tea cup. 

I thought it was the most darling thing ever. That he drank it all for her. Sweet boy....when he isn't being mean to her. Which happens also. 





Years and years ago when we found out that Rhett was suffering from two forms of Dyslexia, I felt a pretty big loss for my boy as reading can be such a joy. And important for things like....COLLEGE. His reading and writing has been a true disability for him. His DARLING group of friends seem to know the "drill" and they rally around him and jump in when needed to help him get through his assignments. His reading has really improved although his writing is still lacking. After a while in school I took the neurologists opinion. Some might think it was "giving up" on Rhett. But I didn't. I took this doctors advice and didn't push him in his reading or writing and the school also didn't push him in that area. It was time to accept and move on. And it was more time to teach him how to compensate for his lack. I reminded him many times that this did not have anything to do with his intelligence and I would tell him smart people I knew who had dyslexia as well. He always acted clueless like "What are you talking about? I already know this doesn't make me dumb." 

All of that to tell you that TONIGHT he wanted to go to bed instead of watch a movie becasue he was at a good spot in the Hunger Games!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's not the simplest book for a boy who struggles with reading. I was pretty darn happy.

He's a gigantic lovey. 

No comments:

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...