Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I have it in my head that...


...crocheted is a dying art. I love crocheting! I can't do it myself personally, despite my mothers best efforts to teach me. I could never get it when you have to add the extra stitch. But I have great, sweet memories of my mom crocheting tons of afghans when I was a kid, usually with our cat, Pepper-Tiger, on her lap. Later in life, I ALWAYS loved afghans best to cover up my babies, because they lay so nice.



Anyways, because I have it in my head that crocheting is a dying art, of course I want to force it upon my girls. So I took them to my moms house and she taught them. Justine actually has learned before. She made me this great scarf as a surprise for Christmas one year when she was 10. I was surprised!


The flap was to keep my face warm-(smile)! Isn't it darling? I treasure it for sure!


It almost could work as a loin cloth if it was turned the other way. Ha Ha.
Anyway, this was Kassidy's first experience with it and she took right off crocheting. It really surprised me. She is not much of a "crafter" but she went bonkers! One night I couldn't even get her to go to bed she was so obsessed with working on it it. She wasn't watching TV or anything as she worked. She was just crocheting away at 11:00 at night with only a lamp to light her way. It was funny.
She decided the afghan was going to be my Christmas present. However, we learned our lesson on choosing wacky colors. But I love it! I am so proud of her efforts and learning a new skill!



I love this spot here. She messed up a little and it wasn't the same length so she just added some more to the edges. Funny.
She inscripted it.


I think the words are all so cute. On one side it says, "my mom rox!"

I think it is cool she found a way to write on the afghan herself!

Cool afghan, don't cha think?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it! I hope my girls make a 'mom rox' afghan for me someday.

Anonymous said...

You should have her check out www.ravelry.com It's the coolest site with tons and tons of patterns for crocheting (and knitting). It has forums as well. It really is a lot of fun!
Stacy

kirstensblog said...

Really neat! I love the colors. Way to go. My sister made me an afghan for my birthday when I was nineteen. I still have it and treasure it.

Tracy said...

Cute pictures. She did a great job!! My mom made an afghan just like the one your mom did, but it was orange. Brings back lots of memories. And how smart is Cassidy that she figured out a way to write on it by herself. Cass Rox

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...