Thursday, February 4, 2010

"When I count my blessings, the greatest of my joys, our parents gave us sibling instead of rooms of toys"

Tonight was a sweet night in many ways, despite the fact that I spent like three hours making a birthday cake. That doesn't even include frosting and decorating. That is just getting it baked and the layout worked out.

Any guesses as to what it is going to be?

It was a sweet night tonight despite the fact that I am trying to not eat crap and crap was calling my name all night! (sorry Linda, I know how you hate potty talk)

It was a sweet night tonight despite a head ache and a desperate sadness for the days when the kids would be in bed by eight and I felt guilty for scrap booking for two hours in the evening.

It was a sweet night tonight despite the fact that I have no decent big kitchen bowls and because of that there is powder sugar all over my shirt now from trying to make home made frosting. I despise the kind in the tub. It took me all these years (as in this last year) to realize I can make it better. So yummy your teeth literally sting.

It was a sweet night tonight despite the fact that I sometimes wish these little people's lives away hoping for when they grow up and I can keep a clean house.

It was sweet night tonight because of the fact that we started reading the Book of Mormon together. We finished those little reader kind that make it like a cartoon and now we are going to move on to the big stuff. Nathan and Justine took turns reading the first introductory page while I worked on the cake and the other kids quietly drew. I have learned over and over again to just do the best I can with this. Yes, it would be nicer if we were all sitting their quiet with books open and young minds eager to learn but it mostly just isn't so. So at least we did it. I do think back to our Christ for Christmas days with such love. That time changed something in me I must say. I have a deeper something in my soul that I can't explain or really put my finger on.

It was a sweet night tonight because I watched several things happen which were why I had all these children in the first place.



Reading to brother the ABC book




loving each other


Then Kassidy had to draw for drawing class. She tried to draw Rhett. Then he started drawing with her. They sat quiet like that for almost an hour! I almost had a stroke from astonishment!





Then on top of all this happy together time the older girls spent a good 1/2 hour making their little sister dizzy by twirling her and then video taping it!


It was a good night tonight because I saw one of my greatest desires happening. My kids like each other!
It was such a happy sibling night! Each one had good times with one of the others. Nice.

2 comments:

Terri Porter said...

That's sweet Susan. I think that is one of the highlights of being a mom. When your kids show those rare moments of actually caring for one another.

kirstensblog said...

This is poetry. Seriously. Do you know that I have those same thoughts, yet can't gather them up enough to put them into those paragraphs like that. You organized my thoughts! How do you do that?! You are such a sister to me. I love the fotos of the kids as they are loving one another, drawing with one another, and the beautiful cake of love, made for the same reasons I love to. It is a bit of work, indeed, but the joy! The tradition! The manifestation of your love on a cookie sheet. Your children will never forget it. It is creating a legacy, you know.
My Aunt Pauline began a candy making legacy. I am honored to be part of it. Her kids don't even know I am alive though, haha. I know all about their momma, though.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...