Tuesday, March 2, 2010

We washed the penny in case you were worried!

So thankful for inspired programs straight from Heavenly Father.

Family Home Evening

Where we set aside one night a week to play, learn and grow closer. (You know, unless we are fighting inbetween the prayers...)


"We advise and urge the inauguration of a Home Evening throughout the Church, at which time fathers and mothers may gather their boys and girls about them in the home, and teach them the words of God ... If the Saints obey this counsel, we promise that great blessings will result. Love at home and obedience to parents will increase, faith will be developed in the hearts of the youth of Israel, and they will gain power to combat the evil influences and temptations which beset them." The First Presidency (Joseph F. Smith)

“Monday evenings should be reserved for family home evening. Local leaders should ensure that Church buildings and facilities are closed, that no ward or stake activities are planned for Monday evenings, and that other interruptions to family home evenings be avoided. The primary emphasis of family home evening should be for families to be together to study the gospel. We remind all that the Lord has admonished parents to teach their children the gospel, to pray, and to observe the Sabbath Day. The scriptures are the most important resource for teaching the gospel.” (First Presidency Letter, 30 Aug 94 — Howard W. Hunter, Gordon B. Hinckley, and Thomas S. Monson)

“We call upon parents to devote their best efforts to the teaching and rearing of their children in gospel principles which will keep them close to the Church. The home is the basis of a righteous life, and no other instrumentality can take its place or fulfill its essential functions in carrying forward this God-given responsibility. We counsel parents and children to give highest priority to family prayer, family home evening, gospel study and instruction, and wholesome family activities.” (First Presidency letter, 11 February 1999 — Gordon B. Hinckley, Thomas S. Monson, and James E. Faust)

"We cannot impress too much the importance of having family home evenings once a week . . . that you may be rewarded by a fulfillment of the promise that if fathers and mothers will discharge this responsibility, not one in a hundred of your family, as has been said by the leaders who have preceded us, would ever go astray." Spencer W. Kimball




Anyone remember this game?









It was so exciting to the kids...!

I refuse to be a mom who won't participate. Yes, I even swim. In a swimsuit. At a public pool. For all to see.

Appreciated Corey taking a brake from work to come play, gloves and all!



Also-wish I was not one of those people who leave cupboard doors open. Don't know why I do that.






Trying to get revenge on dad for pushing her face in the flour!


We also had a lesson. I taught the kids about work. How important it is. How good we feel after we have done it. They were slightly astonished by that one. They said they don't feel good after work. Hmm... maybe someday. We read some great quotes from our Sunday school lesson at church,

Elder Neal A. Maxwell taught, "The gospel of work is part of the 'fullness of the gospel.' Though joyful, missionary work is work. Though joyful, temple work is work . Alas, a few of our underwhelmed youth work all right, but mostly at trying to please themselves..."Be careful...when you inordinately desire things to be better for your children than they were for you, Do not, however unintentionally, make things worse by removing the requirement for reasonable work as part of their experience, thereby insulating your children from the very things that helped make you what you are!"

Also, I told them dad and I have made lots of mistakes and it was our job to teach them better and that from now on we were a family who does not borrow money. Not even for a car. It is just not smart. I have heard Dave Ramsey talk so much about it, of course our church has been telling us that FOREVER, and I have learned my own lesson on it as well. I told the kids we will not worry about what others have, we will only worry about what we can personally afford. We will learn to save for what we want. There is more satisfaction in that anyhow. Thriftiness is important. Material things just do not matter that much. That being said I must show you the cute little chicks I bought myself.



Too good to pass by, thrifty of not!



Anyhoooo, I have ALWAYS wanted to have a Family Creed, or code, or whatever you want to call it. So last night we started one and we are going to add at each Home Evening. Here is the start of ours. It is hanging on the wall. (I might edit the part about borrowing money. I guess there would be other times you'd want to borrow money, such as opening a business, some crazy emergency, too adorable chick statues...I don't know. Also I hope I never come off preechy. I wouldn't want to sound that way to all my 'peeps' (hee hee) so sorry if I do. I am not perfect at any of these things. I am muddling through all of it!)
Anyway, here is the start of our creed-


Next week I want to add something about service and do humanitarian kits...stay tuned. Feel free to give me ideas for my family creed! I am going to post it on the side of my blog.

3 comments:

Terri Porter said...

You never cease to amaze me. First off, I love that you are always involved with your kids, and you show that that you will do whatever it is that they do. I am the same way.
Second, those chicks.....they scare me. Not cute. Third- I love the start of your family creed. LOVE IT!

Unknown said...

That looks like fun.. I do remember playing that game! Also..goodjob on the family creed. That is awesome...our family creed is simple:
Amor et erudito. (Latin for "Love and Learning") We also did a family mission statement once...now I'll have to go find that! Cute post.

Unknown said...

that game is a BLAST! I used to play it as a teenager. How great that you can play such fun games cause there are so many of you! All we do is sing silly primary songs for FHE. That's about all my girls can handle but I cant wait to be able to play games like this!

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...