Monday, January 23, 2012

Wax on...Wax off!

I guess I should explain whatever happened with my darling boy and our ADHD predicament.

After much thought and a lot of desperation and a constant prayer in my heart, I decided to medicate him. I do not love the idea AT ALL. I hear a lot, the comparison...If one has diabetes they would take medicine...and yes, you would. But for some reason this just doesn't feel like the same thing.

But....he has done very well since he has been on them. He is much more calm, better behaved in school (although not a complete fix) and in jujitsu his time outs have been way less if even at all. Any of the parents there who saw the before and after in Bo, if they didn't believe before in ADHD before,they do now. He was SO MUCH BETTER BEHAVED.

There is another boy in Jujitsu who is very young. And because of his age he is running around a bit and a little rowdy.B o actually tattled on him like he was just this pro at behaving now. He would watch this little boy like... what is up with that!? It was funny. And good that he becoming aware of how one is supposed to act.

And to ALL OF THE JOY in my heart, Bo received his first "bar". Who the heck decided a little stripe of tape on your belt is your promotion? I haven't a clue, but he received one. A black piece of duck tape with a white piece of medical tape and he was promoted. It represents attendance, behavior, and learning new skills. It was so stinking darling I could hardly stand it.

So there you are. That is what I have done about ADHD. I have no idea what others should do and I have no advice for anyone else but it does seem to really be helping Bo. As always...ADHD is just a puzzle but it greatly affects our family.

1 comment:

Red Dragon said...

God bless you for listening to your prayers. I've seen this in quite a few families. And if you say something they become quite defensiveness. So I've learned not to say anything and just pray for them. I am so glad to hear that you prayed and followed your heart.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...