Saturday, January 21, 2012

When I was 18, I got a really serious case of pneumonia. I was OUT for days, in a world of delirum and slumber. I was hospitalized for 7 days racking up an enormous amount of hospital debt for my parents, whom had been unemployed and without insurance at the time. They didn’t get that bill paid off until I was well into being a married woman (should I have taken that one on? Maybe?). I remember my mom calling me to tell me when they had finally paid it off.

When I was in the hospital I remember I had a few not so helpful nurses. I am sure there were some great ones but I remember the two not so great ones and the incidents surrounding them. My mom had to stay with me practically the entire time to insure my care.

But I also remember I had one male, really nice, nurse. Back in the day (ha ha, I love to say that) male nurses were not common. I remember implications and teasing being made about my male nurse being feminine. I never thought so or even cared. I felt very defensive for him because I remember so much his kindness. One night when I was in my delirium, I remember the male nurse coming in and putting my oxygen back in my nose. I remember he stroked the hair away from my face. And that was all.

Well, fast forward 20 years….What in the world happened to male nurses!!!! No more teasing around these parts. Male nurses are HUN-KY

I had to take Bo to the ER for his pneumonia, because of course these kinds of things can NEVER happen during the day. Holy Moly, the ER was full of very manly, very handsome, very kind, very manly, (oh, did I say that one already?) male nurses! I didn’t think that much of it at first but after a bit I was like…Wow! What is up with all the male nurses!

When I asked one of them about it, (I had four hours of free time to talk) he said there were so many of them in the ER because of the adrenaline rush involved there.

But then there was another one in the Peds unit. They all did a GREAT job and were every bit as kind and caring as a female nurse. And nice to look at.

No comments:

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...