Tuesday, January 3, 2012

When do you teach a lesson and when do you show mercy?

I don't know.

But Rhett really struggled today. He was SUPER tired. And a bit sad. I think we are hard on him sometimes. He is pretty loud and wild and the family is often on his case. But he gets emotional sometimes. Angry and sad. I don't know what it is quite about although I suspect he is frustrated about stuff.

He told me when his teacher reads chapter books he doesn't ever really understand what she is talking about. I wonder if he just can't listen long enough to comprehend before his mind is drifting.

Then he got upset and said he wished he never told me because I would tell his teacher. The last time he told me something I went and talked to his teacher about it and now he doesn't trust me. Sad. Makes me really sad. :(

The reason he told me about not understanding the books is because I asked him if he'd like me to read a chapter book to him. He brightened when he said.." I don't have to read?" I said no. He could just listen. It broke my heart a little that he seemed pleased about reading together. I thought he'd fight it. I should be doing it all along with him (I have tried in the past, he didn't enjoy it)but it is so hard with the chaos that is going on constantly. So we read one chapter of a book about a modern day Peter Pan. We talked about it along the way. It went okay. I explained a lot. I think it will be good.

So later I caught him sneaking mechanical pencils out of Kassidy's room.

Mechanical pencils are a huge deal to him. He loves them. I made him put them back and gave him a mini lecture about it.

That night Kassidy was looking for her favorite pencils. I told her to look in Rhett's back pack.

She showed me when she found them in there. Ugh.

Then it was so sweet. She wasn't even mad or anything. She just said she had some other ones he could have. She just said it so sweet and compassionately to a little brother who just wanted some pencils, by golly!

Love moments like that. When your daughter is gentle instead of lashing out when you could see why she would have reacted otherwise.




Rhett's has a few smiling issues for the camera. He cannot give a natural smile to save his life. Funny.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have you tried getting books on CD for Rhett? We used to check out the book and also the book on CD so that Jake could listen to the book but he also had to follow along in the book, it helped him out a lot.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...