Wednesday, August 22, 2012

All growed up.

My daughter turns 18 today. I wonder whose life I am living. Because I am not a mother of an 18 year old. I am still not that much older than 18.


(Traditional birthday breakfast with dad. Tired girl!) 

The other day she pulled the 18 card and told the school she was almost 18 and could sign for herself so she could get out of school and not take electives she didn't need credit for. I was actually pretty proud of that. I want her to handle her own life. And I have a lot of confidence that she can. We learned she gets home at 1:00pm from school everyday. WEIRD!!!! It is going to turn into a blessing though to help with my busy schedule.

She cracked me up the other day by saying she was going to hurry and finish reading the Old Testament before church seminary starts. She told me she only has to do SEVENTY pages a day and she will have it done. SEVENTY!!!! Ha. Ha. Ha.  She was disgusted that some people had told her she couldn't do it. I didn't want to be one of those people. I told her she definitely could do it. But that was a lot of reading. I don't know yet how she is coming along with her goal. She busts me up she is so funny.

She wants a Thor cake. I almost always make their cakes and it is a big deal. I decided to order her one. I have to make Bo one on the exact day and throw an 18 b-day party and it is just a lot. Plus Kassidy told me she wanted really thick big frosting. Which means to me store bought. So when I told her I ordered one I was worried about her being disappointed. Instead...she was worried about ME being disappointed that I wasn't making her one. She was happy with a store bought cake and I was ecstatic not to have more pressure. Sweet girl.

She is a darling. She had a rough start but she is a darling. She is funny, and sassy and a lover of books. She is feisty and cranky and generous.

I admire her so deeply because she escaped my genetic fear of everything. She is brave and strong and not a chicken. And that makes me so happy for her to think she will be living a life free from irrational fears. (unlike Justine and me. Justine is scared of sharks even if our pool. I am scared of aliens. Like sometimes when I am driving home in the dark alone, if I look into the passenger seat and picture an alien there I jump and freak out. Do you ever do that? No? Just me?)

Kassidy is my girl who will patiently sleep on the couch for me when dad is out of town. And she does it so kindly even though she thinks it is absolutely ridiculous. I love that she thinks it is ridiculous. I love that she is rational.

I love that her two career choice revolve around writing and working with adults with disabilities. It is amazing to see who your children become.


On to another subject... Don't I need this hanging in my house somewhere? Or on a t-shirt? I ADORED it. I thought it was the most cutest, funnest thing ever.


Do you LOVE it?

And today I went to see Kristopher. And I basked in the peace his insight and knowledge brings. And we talked about trials of OCD and he recommended a book called "Brain Lock". He sure has me reading a lot. But I like it. And we (when I say we I really mean I) avoided other subjects I didn't want to discuss. I had a headache from stress. But I promise myself to discuss them next week. They aren't even that extreme. But sometimes little things still affect your life. I have steadily been sending business his way. Today we discussed it. I told him people ask what I have been doing to lose weight and I say therapy. And it is true. I have lost 40 pounds now.

Corey hiked the Middle Teton.



 He took a group of work friends and he was their "guide". Proud of his stamina and his bravery and his in-shape-ness. Sounds like he is a good support to those who are scared or hiking a bit slower. I know because of how he treated me in THIS  and THIS post. When I cried. A lot. And listened to Rob and Neil Diamond for support.


1 comment:

Susan said...

Tiffany said...So proud of you!!!!!!!
Mary said...I'll say it again, I love you, I love the way you express yourself...we never stop"totally" raising our children, but...one almost down, 5 to go. I would say, you have been successful so far. Congrats 40 lbs., so wonderful FOR YOU♥
Nancy said...WOW, I am so proud of you and the great mother you are. You have raised an amazing family!
Sharla said...Oh Susan, I read a few of your posts today and laughed and laughed. It felt good... Thanks.
Kirsten said...I will be a unicorn! Kassidy looks so much like your grandmother, you know that picture with the four generations? Amazing. I look so much like my grandma too. Not usually one to admit I look like anybody, but I look like her. In one picture it was like looking at myself only in 1923, Cray cray. (Katelyn's word for crazy)

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...