Monday, April 27, 2015

You know you've had an impressive surgery when...

many of the nurses caring for you have never seen one as extensive as yours. They kept calling me a 350 something something..... meaning they cut me 350 degrees around. 

The very first day they got me up to walk but I was so sick all I could do was sit there. It is insane how much you depend on those sweet kind nurses to help you and take care of you. When I was a girl I would listen to this 


over and over again. Florence Nightingale tape over and over and over again. It talked about how Florence would walk among all of the wounded soldiers with her lantern caring for them. That story ALWAYS stirred my soul. 

When it came time to choose my major I chose Social Work. Being a nurse was too scary for me because I am airheadish and didn't want to kill anyone. But I always felt like I had to explain to people that nursing was my first choice but I didn't think I could hack it. So after this stay in the hospital I realized... Social Work is really where I think I'd rather be. I still love all the medical stuff and I love the huge help of service you can be to someone as a nurse. And I love nurses so so much. But I feel relieved that I am more confident in my area of studies now.  

So after I sat up for a minute I insisted I had to lay back down becasue I couldn't even imagine throwing up in my condition. But the next day I did  better and the nurses were so funny and proud of my little efforts. Love them.

Okay, so here is my plastic surgeon. He came with really great recommendations. And he was both very intelligent and sweet. Lots of times, Drs. can't be both. They are so so so smart and it's like all of their brain got taken up with that so they can't be very social also. But this guy is both. He smelled of VERY strong and deep (I don't even know if that is an explanation) coffee every time he met with me. I liked it. It was very Sean Connery. 

This picture is from his web sight. It totally cracks me up. 


Here is me on my way to the ER. I had a freckle on my nose burned off the day before so it is looking sad. 

Ummmm...Yes I did indeed get up early and wash and flatten my hair. I thought it might tie me over for a few days. 

I had all these big plans to keep it together during my hospital stay. I was going to have some dignity. 

I didn't. I stayed in their gown and grody non skid socks the whole entire time. 



Tomorrow I will give you my to do list for this week while I am laying around recovering. 

No comments:

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...