Wednesday, June 1, 2011

It's hard work being a toy!

When I was a child I had this crazy burden in my life of thinking my stuffed animals had little souls. I would NEVER give one away and I ALWAYS wanted new ones for every gift getting occasion.

I was such a tender little person. I remember a time when I had saved my money to go buy a popular item which was a heart pillow with two little stuffed dogs sitting on it next to each other. When I went to buy them there was one who had it's little stuffed partner ripped off and that little doggie sat by himself on the heart pillow. IT. BROKE. MY. HEART. Looking back I wonder if I may have had some mental issues. Anyhow, needless to say, I purchased the puppy sitting on his heart pillow....alone. I couldn't bear for him to be lonely.

At night I would feel guilt over the boxes of stuffed animals my patient mom stored under our stairs for me. I would feel guilt because not everybody could make the cut and some had to be chosen to be packed away. I felt guilt over a specific monkey who could suck his thumb that I packed away. I would even pray for them remembering each one in my head. A little OCD you think?

When I was ready to go to college (or was it marriage?) it was time to get rid of them. The only way I could do it was because my cute mom had found a battered women's shelter for them to be donated to. I knew they would be loved so I could do it. Nice mom, huh?

At our house being a "lovey" can be a FULL time job. It is their job to comfort and to play and to understand when they have been cast aside. You know assuming they can understand...But I'm not saying that I believe that........er......uh...really....honest.)

On this day it was a full time play day.


First....Pig, Puppy, Bunny, and Bear had to spend some time watching T.V.




Second... they had to spend some time looking out the window....




Third...they had to wait it out piled in a box....





Then as the evening came to a close they were read to. Likely their favorite task, assuming I know stuffed animals. And I think I do.





Disclaimer....These pictures were taken before Pig was put in storage for safe keeping. This was right before rabbit started making her move as favorite "lovey". Pig was just too old to compete. Sigh.



3 comments:

Terri Porter said...

Ok, let me get this straight? You thought your stuffed animals had souls, but you thought nothing of SLAMMING a little mouses head against a counter to kill it and feed it to the mice?
I'm trying to understand your rationale......Ok, never mind......

Sydney said...

I am so glad I'm not the only crazy one around here! I still feel a little bad for all my stuffed animals sitting in storage...

Terri Porter said...

I meant feed it to the snake.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...