Thursday, November 19, 2009

My dad is a quirky little dude...

He'll probably be annoyed by the term "little" as he may be little but he is strong! He was a champion wrestler in college. The man can still do a head stand in the middle of a room. It is astonishing. He has always done his "calisthenics" every morning. He also jogged 1 mile every day. Growing up he raised rabbits (yes, and ate them) and every jog he would jog to a nearby field and pick too bushels of fresh alfalfa for the rabbits. It was quite a sight, him jogging with two bushels of alfalfa in each hand.

I also mean quirky in the lovingest way. I take after him in all my quirky little ways, as well. My dad's mind is that of a genius. Truly. It is open to all sorts of ideas. Like eating all sorts of new things such as weeds, flowers, roots, fungi. He holds know prejudices the way most people do. If it is edible he will eat it. When the squirrels began invading his yard he ate them as well. And enjoyed them!

It is not uncommon to have an outing delayed because he wants to check out the rocks or fossils in the rock floors or walls. Take Edwards Movie Theatre for example. Fossils, in their walls! Civic Auditorium...Fossils! He has a love affair with rocks. I don't even say that as a joke.

I always feel safe around my dad. As a kid I would be traumatized at night (I am a wimp, remember?) while trying to falling asleep if he ever went to bed before me. I hated that. I liked knowing he was up still in case anything happened. You know...intruders, aliens, ghosts, whatever the case may be. It is good to have a dad. Still to this day I like it if he will go camping with us because I feel safer knowing he is there. I am sure that is some mental things because I have a strong manly tough husband but there is something different about having your daddy around.

My dad is a great sport. He will always dress up for spooky dinner, he will always treat us if we go somewhere, he will always tell you what he thinks (I really do like that), he will always catch spiders and let them go outside, he will always be good for a chat on the phone, and he always pays the kids a dollar if they will eat squirrel. Good guy!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAD!


I think this is the cutest picture in the whole world! My dads a whistling of course!

Going to a daddy daughter party for church dressed up in the 50's. I remember being happy we were holding hands.

No comments:

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...