Friday, November 6, 2009

My little Egg Mcmuffin mommy

My mom is an Egg McMuffin mommy! She HEART'S McDonald's. They know her by name there. When I was growing up we ate Egg McMuffins all the time! Every free Saturday we would go there and then to shop at K-mart. Good memories. I was in early morning seminary and she use to walk the church building. After she dropped me from seminary to school she went to McDonald's for her Egg McMuffin (and diet Pepsi of course). She just really loves Egg McMuffins. That's all there is to it!


I grew up and had my own family. When she had her foot surgery and my dad was out of town she was concerned who would take care of her McMuffin fix. I was to be her Egg McMuffin deliverer. One day I had to go to two McDonald's to provide, but I would not fail my Egg McMuffin mommy. Not after all she has done for me. One day I bought her two so she could save one for lunch. That made her happy.

My son goes to speech every Thursday and I go donate plasma right after. Because we are out the door early, we too, must stop at McDonald's. I too, have become an Egg McMuffin mommy only I like the sausage instead. I am a Sausage McMuffin with Egg mommy (they are cheaper). My two little ones know what to expect every Thursday. My baby (to much chagrin, I am one of those people who call the baby, "the baby", no matter how old they are.) can eat a whole one to herself, and faster than her brother. She is a chubba-rama! She has eaten one to many Sausage McMuffin!



My mom is also a Humanitarian of the World mommy. She has sewn, knitted, colored and crochet items for the Humanitarian center, which for those who don't know, is a center in Utah where LDS church members from all over the world, send items they've made, bought, etc... so the center can distributes them all over the world to places in need. Some examples are, after hurricanes we have sent hygiene kits (zip lock bags with tooth brushes, soap, washcloths etc...). There are women taking home babies after birth in newspaper (Break my heart into a million pieces) so we send new born kits (blankets, diapers, socks, pajamas etc... ). There are children in orphanages staring at blank walls so we have sent in sewn mural type things. Often times the things from the Humanitarian center are the first to arrive disasters because they are prepared in advance for when things happen. It is an ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE PROGRAM. IT DEEPLY TOUCHES MY HEART. It is an enormous aid to the world and I am proud to be part of it even though it may be through a very small way, here and there. My mom has made booties, hats, scarfs, school bags, quilts, stuffed animals, canvas blocks, colored pictures, file folder games, "leper" bandages. Over 1,000 items! She delivers them to our local Deseret Industries and then they deliver them to Humanitarian Center in Utah. Awesome!

This is my Egg McMuffin Humanitarian of the World mommy:


These are the quilts I have had in my closet for TRULY three years. Our "ward" (that is what our church calls the groups of people and families designated to attend church at a certain time, in a certain building, in certain locations all over the world. We worship and do activities with the people from our "ward") decided to make quilts for the Humanitarian Center. We sent out hundreds if I remember correctly. I had noble plans to teach each of my children to sew and tie a quilt. I had a toddler at the time and added another baby to the family a little while later. Thus the quilts sat in my closet for three years! Sad but reality with 6 children. Many a great idea goes undone. I began to feel guilty over the people who could be using them and I finally pawned the off on my humanitarian mother. She had them done within the week and off to comfort people of the world. (She is also my personal seamstress in case you care to know. She mends all the sewing mends of my life and it is a great asset to have in the life of a mom of 6. I wish you could all have a personal seamstress in your life, too.)

Anyway, I just wanted to declare to the world (or the nine followers of my blog) how much I love my Egg McMuffin Humanitarian of the World Seamstress to family of eight Mommy. She has forever been a great mom and support to my life. And she is super fun, too. And relaxed. And a good dejunker. And non judgemental. And And And... She is all of it!


Also FYI if you have an interest in contributing to the Humanitarian center you don't have to be a member or the LDS church of course! The things they are asking for are easy to buy or make and they have a detailed list of what they need. Just let me know...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This made me cry! I now know what I want to be when I grow up. Your mom! Except I like Special K with strawberries. Or toast and hot chocolate. (are you picking up on the sugar and carbs theme I have going here?)

And also, the humanitarian work the Church does is something remarkable to behold. What an amazing contribution your mom's making with all of her work. You go, Nancy!! You're making a difference in the world!
Linda

Anonymous said...

hic!

Unknown said...

you are such a sweetie!
And now I'm craving egg mcmuffins with sausage--good choice.

Janetlee said...

Susan, is this why you are so nurturing yourself? A great role model. I want to be your mom when I grow up. I loved the whole thing.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...