Wednesday, November 4, 2009

5 things I learned from volunteering at my son's developmental preschool today!


Number 1.Nope!... Still don't like 'em. (kids, that is)

Every so often I go in to volunteer at the preschool to see if that has changed, but alas, it has not. Saying I don't like them is a little too strong so let's just say I don't enjoy them. Up close anyways. They are fun from a far. Meaning when I don't have to care take them.

Something happened to me when I gave birth to my oldest daughter. My love for her was JUST so enormous that it squished all the extra space out of my heart for other people's children. I just don't enjoy other children but my own. It is sad and slightly disturbing, I know. I actually use to LOVE children! I baby sat all the time, I wanted to adopt, I wanted to work with children. But somehow in the process of bearing my own I have shut down interest, patience, and enjoyability for other children. I desperately hope it will come back because I think it is sort of a dysfunctional trait. What mother of six doesn't like children! I think maybe as my own kids get older it will come back. I have a group of close friends and relatives whom I love their children because I love them, but in general...nope, nothing, Nada! I tried. Still don't enjoy them. ...Okay ...there was one cute little girl who I played in the sandbox with but I only liked her because she reminded me of my lovely friend Viki's daughter, Sadie. Cute little sprinkle of freckles across her nose. She was okay.


Number 2.Yea! My son is NOT- The Book Thief!(good book, read it sometime). Last week he came home from preschool with two super nice, hard bound books in his back pack. Really nice books. I was sure he had snuck them into his back pack so I forced him to take them back. Come to find out each child was given one and they were his. Phew! A note might have been a good idea, ya think!

Number 3.There are a lot of cry babies at preschool...and one of them was me! I have this emotional crappy problem where I cannot deal with certain situation without crying! It is super dooper annoying. I don't feel like crying, or at least not that much, on the inside but I cry on the out side causing others to try to comfort me when I don't really need it! An example of me crying was when my fourth child was called into the principal's office and I had to attend to listen to his transgression. I knew this wasn't going to go well. The principal asked if he would like to stay in for recess 2, 3, or 5 days. Rhett, with his ginormous fat lip sticking out (he was blessed with pouty lips anyways) chose FIVE days of missed recess. Now I had already been crying (Charlie Brown UGGGHHH!) but this sent me over the top into mental patient, freakazoid, scar my child into thinking he has done something REALLY naughty (instead of his constant low grade medium naughty that he aspires to) crying. It was ridiculous. I also couldn't stop crying when we sold our fooze ball table! I started getting all emotional about all the fun times we could have had with it if it won't taking up space in our garage and I start to cry in front of the people loading it up. DUMB!

Back to the preschool, Bo got into a fight with a kid and had to sit in the hall way for time out. As I am explaining to him that the kid didn't steal his yellow chair (there were five others) I start to cry! I am screaming inside of myself...don't you do it, don't you do it! It is ridiculous. Amazingly, I gained composure!

Number 4.For being such a skinny little kid, Bo has super human strength. The kids must know it also because I saw one kid give him a little push and then quickly get out of dodge. A kid who was really annoying (not just because I don't like kids annoying) but really annoying, did something to Bo which I didn't see but Bo was livid! Crying and shaking and lunged at the kid knocking him on the ground backward over his chair that he was sitting in. Great. I feel the tears coming.


I inserted the picture here to remind myself how cute he is.


Yep, still love him. Super human VIOLENT strength and all.

Then when he thought another kid stole his chair, out of the five yellow chairs available, he just mowed him over and right off his chair! Having older brothers has made this kid MEAN...And STRONG. Sad, huh?

Number 5. My son's impulse control (nice way of saying he can't behave)is so wretched he has his own aid all to himself!

After having six children you think I would GET that children always behave better with someone else. Apparently I don't. Everything was going fine. Bo and I were playing together. I was eating play food and I sense this person hovering a little too close to our space. A few seconds later they introduce her to me and inform me that they have had to hire her to specifically take care of Bo the whole preschool time. (Glad I could contribute to the low employment issue in the country)So it felt a little awkward with both of us following him around and he was being naughty for me so I just distance myself and worked with some other kids. She swooped in (grr) (doing her job) and he behaved fine for her! Broke my heart. Almost sent me into a crying fit! Seriously. I had to talk myself out of it. Honestly, she seemed to be good with him and I hope he has someone there who can like him and help him. Unlike the way I would be with someone else's child. She did defend him too when a kid was blaming him for spilled milk, so I liked that.


Anyways, thus is the saga of a preschool volunteers life! One who may not seem emotionally stable. I am though. I promise. sniff, hic... You know, what you do after your done crying (that one is for you, Linda!).

2 comments:

Janetlee said...

I can relate to what you are saying about other little kids. BUT - when it comes to my nieces and nephews, I am crazy about them, like they were my own kids! If we loved all the neighbor kids equal to ours, I'm guessing our parental energy would be divided. God asked us to love our own first. So we do.

Unknown said...

Susan - Sorry about your emotions getting the best of you - but "sometimes you have to do HARD things...it's good for you!"

That is a quote from a dear friend of mine who shall remain namelless! =) Hehe.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...