Thursday, November 12, 2009

My newest ailment! I seem to have a lot of them lately as I get older (grimace) and I am not liking it! I am not going down without a fight!

I'm as horrified as the rest of you to learn that, indeed, I am getting a gap in between my two front teeth. At first I could tell my teeth had changed a tiny bit because my bite seemed little different and then I start noticing that i could floss a little too well in between my top two front teeth! It has put me in a bit of a "what the chicken" mode! I have always had great teeth! Sorry but it is true. I never even needed braces. When I had my teeth cleaned the other day the dental technician even said how frustrating it was when you had braces and then only to end up with a gap. She thought I had had braces! I have always had good teeth. They say nursed babies will likely have straight teeth. I was not nursed so I don't know what's up with that.

God knew I could never handle metal in my mouth. I have an odd sensitivity to metal. I can literally taste it. Corey never believes me so we often have "the taste test" where he will try to trick me by rubbing my fork on tinfoil (eeeewwww, sorry for that) and then try to make me decide which one has touched the tin foil. I always pass the test. Any ways, I could never ever have stood braces. All that metal in your mouth, yuck!

My mother has a tiny little gap. But she has always had it and it is a part of her. I have never thought it looked bad. Apparently my newly widening gap is genetic (thanks for that). But it is not endearing when it has never been a part of me. Now that gap is only currently about 1 mm apart. The technician stuck her little tool in between to examine the gap. I found that an invasion of my privacy! I just thought that was rude! So I guess I am making an appointment with the orthodontist to see about a permanent retainer. Although I have about 2o million other tings I'd rather spend the money on I feel like I better fix it while they can easily. I'll let you all know how that goes.

Here are my teeth pre gap:


pretty good, eh?

Post gap: (I know, fuzzy picture, but you can see a little shadow starting to form.)


What's up? See the little hint of a gap beginning? It will eventually look like this:

Just kidding. This is my poor kid's mouth. See any braces in his future? And whitening strips?

3 comments:

Becky said...

Okay, this is too funny. The same thing happened to me, but started in high school. I too have never had braces, and have been blessed with straight teeth. My dentist in Seattle suggested I wear a little rubber band (the kind people with braces use) and just wear it at night. He gave me a little bag of them, and it worked! But...within a day or so they'd always go back. I would sometimes wake up pulling the rubber band off because my teeth were starting to overlap and cause pain. WEIRD, I know. Anyway, maybe rubber bands would be a quick fix for now.

kirstensblog said...

So that is funny! And, guess what? I used to have glasses, but now don't need them. Weird. I had them for all my elementary school years.
My computer died, so I have to come to my mom's to use the computer. So my blog will have to wait for now. Love ya! Kirsten

Janetlee said...

Susan, I am so happy to know that it is just a gap in you teeth. Reminds me of that talk in the General RS meeting of conference....that talk called: Mind the Gap.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...