Sunday, November 29, 2009

Really communicative blog about communicating! I love friends!


I just love people so much, I rarely find a person I don't enjoy. I have met so many awesome, incredible people, I wish I had time to just hang out with people all day. I want everyone to be a part of my life, there just isn't time. That is one reason I have loved Face book and blogging so much. It immerses me in people and communication and I love that. I love that I can read another mom's blog whom I have never met and cry over her pain. I love that I have been able to see what all my friends from growing up have been doing and how they have changed. I love and need communication of any kind. (Although the only reason I started face book in the first place was because I felt so out of the technological loop. I don't even know how to work a cell phone. So I have been very proud of my blogging and face book abilities.)


Anyways, I have had different friend ships at different times, as I am sure we all have, that have been unforgettable. What a gift they are to help get through this earth life. Because I am such a social person, how desperate I would have been without them.


One group of people became my friends about 6 years ago when we started working on "founding" a charter school together. (Yes, believe it or not by my spelling, grammar, punctuation and high school/college GPA, I love education). We were just random people thrown together for one cause. A few have joined our group here and there. We aren't exclusive but most don't enjoy us long enough to stick around with us. One of the few that could stand us (or maybe not) has since moved, luv ya, Megan,


(Megan- coming to visit me and my new baby...Luv Megan! She is so sweet and special, for reals! I really miss her!)




and another who has stuck with us makes us laugh in our times of need, luv ya, Christina !(Pictures below, she has stuck with us because she is too scared to leave us, we have threatened her!). We have sort of "grown up" together for the last few years. I know that sounds weird since we are all grown ups but we have just been through a lot together and learned a lot together. We have had babies together, gone through heart ache and illness together, and laughed and had much joy together. We have had many philosophical discussions and many a stupid moment such as "What do you call those people who blows the whistle?" and "I could never be Helen Keller, I can't read lips." We have all been loved for who we are and we are all very different people. It is so nice to be at "home" with these people. "It isn't good to be alone," (my turn on earth singing in my head, thanks Viki), and although husbands are wonderful, God really knew what he was doing when he gave women other women. We desperately need each other. Or at least I do! My husband can't figure it out. How do women think of something to talk about ALL the time. Men and women are definitely created different and women just need other women. Do you really think the old fashioned quilting bees were really about making the quilts (well, maybe a little)? No, they were about companionship between the women. Time to talk and share with each other. Sometimes if I don't get out my sorrow, stress, joys, etc.. verbally I feel as if I might implode.

The latest classic I read was about Annie Sullivan, Helen Keller's teacher and life long companion. It talked a lot about communication and there was a thought in the book that Annie said that just resonates within me.

"What a marvellous thing is language! How seldom we give it a thought! Yet it is one of the most amazing facts in life. By the means of the spoken or written word thought leaps over the barrier that separates mind from mind, yet this miracle excites no comment.. With simple little words we open hearts to each other. To think and speak, to have ideas and write them, to make plain to others, to talk with strangers, to learn from acquaintances and the newspaper what our contemporaries are doing, to continue to communicate with the dead through the printed word, to keep their memories alive- surely this is the marvel of existence."

Isn't that so interesting? Think about all the different ways we get to communicate that we take for granted, music, writing, reading speaking, texting, face booking, blogging, emailing, television. It is just interesting to think about. I am so grateful for the sounding boards I have in my life. I have many a dear friend, (and parents, what a gift!) I can call and communicate with that helps me grow and survive and thrive. Thank you.

A few weekends ago I got to go on a little retreat with some of the charter school buddies I told you about. We went to a cabin for two nights. Some scrap booked, (Me, Me, Me, Me, Me, I got so incredibly much done) some knitted, some crochet, some made jewelry, some talked, and some held the baby. But mostly we talked and ate chocolate and had a great time renewing our life energy. I was alerted through face book that I had sick children at home. Knowing I have a perfectly capable husband at home I didn't worry. In fact I secretly (okay, not so secretly) smiled to myself and thought "Give him Heck!" You know how you always want your husband to understand what you are going through as a mother. Unfortunately they were sick enough they slept the whole time so I think he needs a redo!

Here are some pictures of my little angel friends and our fun cabin retreat where by the way I got to realize...Hey, I am a real person! It was great to just spend some "me" time and work on projects that aren't being destroyed 5 minutes later...(aka....the house). I got so much scrap booking done, it was such a feeling of accomplishment!





(Heather-missed going to the cabin but still one of my friends from starting the school )


Christina, getting a little tired! We stayed up way to late!- We all had ample time to get our baby fixes in! He is a happy little guy!




Christina and Linda! Christina knitted yak herding hats and Linda scrap booked.



Shay knitted slippers, and managed to not get us killed when we slid off into an enormous snow ditch! Poof! It was so soft and gentle! She did a great job and just remained so calm.



Terri scrap booked about 4 pages the whole time we were there and then left all her stuff out in one big mess and bonded with baby Miles the rest of the time.




bonding...




more bonding...



more, more bonding! (aren't you so jealous of her long legs? I could never lay a baby down on my legs like that!)


yep, still bonding...it's not even her baby!




and more bonding... How can you help it with that sweet little squishy pumpkin pie cutey face?




Making those crazy popular hugely beaded watches



Linda realized she found her new hobby!

Camy came up with nothing to do but relax and talk!


Discussing beads





I'll be dead for posting this one! This is the real mom. She slept here for all of about 10 minutes and then we had to get back to talking, eating and crafting.



Dyeing hair


I sincerely pray that you all have such friends in your life and if you do not, call some buddies or just some girls who seem in need and start a girls night out group. (I'll come! I need more friends! ) It will be worthwhile. I promise. Don't we just need each other so much? There are probably women right around you looking for some friends! Let's be there for each other!
Girl Power!
(okay, I pushed it a little too far there with that, sorry...)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

OK - you pushed it too far with the last picture, not just the 'girl power"!! People aren't supposed to know about my streak of blue/green hair hiding underneath my perfectly tame mollymormon hair!! j/k Luv ya'

Anonymous said...

That was great, Susan! I miss being there! I couldn't quite read the last sentences and picture captions; that font is out of my range. But thanks for posting good photos! And really, really, can you lose the spider? I don't think I can post comments on here anymore if he stays. He's right here on the screen where I'm typing and I HATE him! I'm physically stressed from it! Where's the hamster? He's cute.....
Linda

Christina said...

Too scared to leave you?! Hahah! Indeed! The last thing that I would want would be you guys as enemies!! Just kidding. You guys are as harmless as declawed kittens! I would, however like to apologize to Linda, Terri, and Miles for spoiling three perfectly good pictures with my unmadeup hair and face! Sheesh Susan! :) Ne3xt time we go.....NO pictures....of me!

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...