Monday, February 21, 2011

Cleanin' out the pantry! and fridge. and freezer.

In an effort to save my husband's hard earned money (he has been working MAJOR extra hours right now) I tried to go this paycheck without really buying groceries and just live off of what is in the cupboards. The cupboards were already a little low so this has been a bit of a challenge.

Tonight we had "street tacos" with a frozen package of corn tortilla some chicken and green salsa.

We have had salad and soup and sandwiches. It is going okay. I might have to pick up a few little things tomorrow...like milk!...and Drano.

So my proudest concoction came today when I decided I could make pumpkin bread out of canned YAMS! Ewww. Why are those even in my cupboard in the first place? I like fresh yams but not canned. Yucka!

Sooo, here is the recipe I googled from Food.com......

For dusting the pan and topping- 2 -3 tablespoons cinnamon sugar mixture ...Uhhh, how come know one ever told me about this delightful little trick before? It looked and smelled heavenly!



Batter-
1 cup candied yams, solids
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar (Depending on how sweet the candied yams are you may want to add more sugar or use less, just to taste)
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt



optional spices (mix into dry ingredients if you crave a spicier yam bread or leave out)-
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (optional)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)

mix in options-
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup chocolate chips (of course you know what we chose!)





Yeah... that is definitely a freakishly grotesquely looking swollen face. Hey! Would it be my life if it weren't?

I will fill you in about this tid bit tomorrow. All is well, it is an abscessed tooth. But I did cry a little at night over it. Never, ever, never, google any physical ailment. It just never ends well. Going to see the dentist tomorrow, whom I may or may not have a teensy weensy little crush on.

Bo is insistent that he is my helper making all thing pertaining to cakey substance. It is like a personal attack if I dare to suggest he can't help.



Preheat oven to 350°F.
Butter a loaf pan and dust with a cinnamon sugar mixture.
Sift the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and set aside.
Cream together the yams and sugar until smooth.
Add butter; mix.
Add eggs; mix.
Add milk; mix.
Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
Fold in nuts and/or chocolate chips if using.
Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. 11 Sprinkle top with more cinnamon sugar mixture.
Bake for 60 minutes.
Cool 10 minutes.
Remove from pan to wire rack to cool completely.

The kids adored it.Even with visible chunks of yams in it. It was really good. It did have a ton of butter (which I had to borrow) and sugar and a whole bag of chocolate chips. But I used up that can of yams!





I love those yam chunks!

Oh...and here are a few pictures from the other day that I forgot. Just for you Christina! ( Happy Birthday to your "Lover" (Hee hee, Grody, Grody-love that word!) Alan Rickman! May his day be better just because you are thinking of him)



Kate calls her Raggedy Ann Dolls "Grandma and Grandpa". Of course we think that is the most darlingest thing ever! Love that Kate has her dollies all lined up and tucked in for the night.




These freaky Toy Story pillow case crack me up. Now doesn't it look like he has a ginormous ear?

Luvs ya!

1 comment:

Emily said...

Yeah, I am going to have to try some of that! Chocolate chip pumpkin bread is my favorite food. Seriously!

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...