Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Celebrations!

I better start this post by apologizing to my friend Linda. She and I both were discussing how some people go to great extremes to do fancy big things for there kids for Valentine's Day. I was agreeing with how some people go over board and less is often better. I said I wasn't doing anything fancy, just a little pink, heart shaped dinner. I don't like the kids to get to spoiled and expect presents for every holiday.

Well,.... I ended up spending much of my day making a fancy (you know, as fancy as prepared chicken can get) dinner and decorating for dinner. Sooooo......it ended up a bigger deal than I thought it would. But the kids loved it and I felt like they loved me more all through dinner. They loved it.

So before anyone starts to think I am so wonderful and do so much, this is what the rest of my house looked like while I was busy Valentine's-in it up....



I know!!!! Bad huh?!!!!And this was only one room I was brave enough to show you! Just keeping it real folks.

So here is my fun Valentine's Day Dinner. First I decorated the table. I just used what I had which included a Christmas Poinsettia table cloth and a picnic table cloth. Then I layed some wall hangings on the table. But it looked pretty great.





Last year when I was big into my couponing, I got these flowers for under 50 cents each. So they were the center piece and then the kids each got one. Great for the boys for sword fighting.

These are my heart croutons. Sadly I don't think dried bread really translates into croutons. They didn't taste quite as good. But look how dang cute they are! I just used kitchen scissors. I adore kitchen scissors. I use them like 40 times per meal.


XO XO jello jigglers,



Processed chicken (bleckety Bleck) with heart shaped cheese


Pink mashed potatoes with pink country gravy. Fun, but I have to admit the coloring really does tricks to your brain. It just seems to taste different when it was pink. Justine describes it as looking like frosting and it was sorta weird that way.



And we had sprite with cherries frozen in red ice cubes. Next time I will do cherry 7-up and freeze the cherries in clear liquid so you can actually see them!

I strung hearts from the ceiling with the kids names on them with attributes that they have. And they got a bag with a sucker and marshmallow bear. And that was that!




Later I found this on kassidy's Face Book status.... "I love my mom!!!!! :) "

It was agreat night. For Family Home Evening we took turns telling each other what we loved about each other.
nice, huh?

Whenever it is time for prayer, Kate insits we clasp our hands together instead of folding our arms.


It was funny becasue she makes the boys do it and they do. I guess they are use to being bossed around.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice job...turned out beautifully.

Janetlee said...

Can i use you as an example for my lesson on Sunday. I'm subbing for Teresa Clark in RS. Let me know. Loved the post!

Anonymous said...

INCREDIBLE! What a wonderful Mom.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...