Friday, February 18, 2011

Dear Sons, Love Mom

Dear beautiful little Sons of mine,

It is among one of my greatest honors to be raising sons.

More than anything I desire for you to grow to be men with integrity and charity.

I desire for you to live every aspect of your lives in holiness and gratitude.

I desire for you to change the world for the better in small ways and in huge ways. Sometimes that will take searching for those changes that need to be made, for looking outside yourself and working harder than you may have to... or even want to. Sometimes valuable ways to serve need to be sought out.

I desire for you to grow to be men of depth and character, of bravery, determination and fortitude.

I desire for you to have constant vigilance in living the Gospel, in respecting others and in being a husband and fathering your children. I desire for you to learn to speak softly, to not be a yeller.

All of these things are no small task. I know. I ask a lot from you. But you boys can rise to every ounce of my desires. You are that good of boys and you have it in you to do so. Where much is given much is required.

I am your mother. It is my job to train you. In these "Dear Sons, Love Mom" posts I am going to start telling you all the big and little things you should know or do to be all that you can.

So lesson number one from your mother...

Lets start with a little one that will be easy to do...

Heed to my words.... You will be a happier and better man.

When your wife gives birth to your child, send her flowers. Every single time. Every. single. time. From a florist. A real live florist.

If you are a a struggling student and cannot afford to do so, call me and I will help you. It will be our secret.

Love, Mom

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

This touched my heart so much. You are an incredible mother, Susan. I mean that. All of these things that you want to teach your boys, I am certain you are teaching in the most effective way -- by example. I need to push the reset button on the the "yeller" part. Speaking softly has always been my ideal, but I fear I've been slipping lately. Thank you for the reminder. It makes me want to do letters to my sons posts, too, but shoot! I'm already a copycat.

I need to learn sometime how you got from Colorado to Idaho.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...