Thursday, March 3, 2011

No judging allowed!!! And that's finale. Is that how you spell finale? Okay, yes it is, I checked.

I have been really debating back and forth whether or not I want to admit this to the blogging world. I don't want you all to be mad at me and think I am a bad mom. Whoever "you all" are.

I, Susan, am a lazy brusher of kids baby teeth.

I have been the same lazy brusher of all my children's baby teeth and have never had one INKLING of a problem before.

I really just think my poor little Bo must have soft teeth. I have had him into the dentist every 6 months since he was a like maybe 3 1/2. And he always has dental problems.

Dear lazy brushers, unite with me and admit your fault so I don't feel like the only one.

If I am the only one I don't want to hear about how good of a brusher of baby teeth you are. I have enough guilt already.

So Bo had to go to the hospital for dental work.




I am a changed mommy now. We have brushed and FLOSSED his teeth every day since. And he is HATING it. I had to buy one of those flosses on a stick so he won't bite me. Now if he still has cavity's in six months I will be relinquished from my guilt and able to claim soft teeth instead of bad mothering.

The nurse said some of the medicine they gave Bo would make him wake up madder than a March hare on a spring run, or some crazy thing like that. And even though I don't know how mad a March hare is, sure enough he was pretty mad.

He would wail for a few minutes, and then sleep. Then I would watch "Say Yes to the Dress" for a few minutes then he would wake up and remember he was mad as a March hare and wail some more. Then he would go back to sleep.


March hare






Yes to the Dress



March hare



Yes to the Dress




And so the cycle continued until they told me to just go home. They said since he was so sleepy they would wheel chair him out instead of the special wagon. Bo yells from his sleep, "WAGON" and that was that.



While at the hospital in the waiting room I learn two interesting things.

When you have a baby you think you'll be mothering them for 18 years and then they will be adults and you will get your life back.

There was a little elderly couple. They were fascinated to see me texting. Apparently they had never seen it.

So we spoke a little and I asked if they had children and they did. One was in surgery right now! And they were oh so worried.

"Do you think they will make sure they watch her diabetes while she is under? What is taking so long???? Do you think she would have fallen if they rug hadn't been right there? I hope nothing went wrong?" This cute little old mom stewed and stewed. And stewed and stewed. She had been up since 5 o'clock!

And the little old dad just kept comforting his wife. "I am sure they are watching her diabetes. The Dr. will come out when he can. I am sure she would have fallen and broken her leg (again) even if the rug hadn't have tripped her. She is taking so long because the Dr. probably just got her in late."

Finally I suggested the Dr. would likely call them at home if they requested it and they did and were so happy about that and went home. See? I should work at the hospital. I like it there.

As cute as you may think all that is I swiftly became depressed. Because their daughter was FIFTY FIVE!!!! Does this parenting madness never end? Or subside? Am i going to be EIGHTY FOUR exhausted at my daughters hospital bedside vigil over leg surgery? I know it sounds sweet and all but right now it seems a bit much.

I guess I should just hope to live that long to be able to do so! But really! This worrying will never end.

Another little secret I learned while in the waiting room is this.....Wait for it...wait for it....Did you know there is a term there called "The baby cuddlers"???? Well there is!!! Hallelujah.

They are volunteers who go to the hospital and cuddle babies all day. I have found my calling. I have been praying ever since for money so I can afford to not work and cuddle babies all day.....The kind that don't talk back.

3 comments:

Pirate Princess said...

This is so hysterical. I am a lazy brusher. I always will be. I had to take Austin in to do that. We gave him a Popsicle to calm him down. I thought that was too funny. Bring him in for dental work and then give him sugar. They shellacked his teeth really good while he was in there. I haven't changed my habits (and consequently neither has Austin) and he hasn't had a cavity since. LOL

I think it's up to what kind of person you are as to whether or not you're still worrying in your 80's. I don't think I'll be like that. I think you can love your kids without being a nerf-worrier.

Do you work out of the home? I didn't know that....

Susan said...

I don't work now. I meant someday when all my kids go to school. Boo.

kirstensblog said...

AAAAAMMMMMEEEENNNNN Aine. Absolutely depends on you whether or not you want to be stewing. The last time my mom had to watch over me like that was creating my wedding for me, and then every once in a while. I do not want that in my life. So, I probably won't have it. I wouldn't be stewing like that in the hospital anyway. I don't need/want the extra stress.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...