Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Take me out to the ball game! We can't wait!

Ever since we moved to this cute little community we have participated in summer T-ball/pitching machine/softball. There is no pressure to be good from me, the other players, or the coaches. It is just some good summer fun. Occasionally, I have been the assistant coach which is seriously a delight because my kids love it so much.


Justine started REALLY loving softball. I don't know much about sports but it seemed like she was holding her own. I was very proud of her for playing catcher. She only did it because no one else wanted to but then she started to get the hang of it. Plus, I was proud of her for playing a physically tough position. She was often HOT and sore from being crouched down.



I love it when they "force the play"....is that what it is called? The 3rd base girl keeps trying to steal home and Justine has to force her back with her threatening personality. :)






Justine was very sad because she aged out of softball this year. I thought she should try out for the high school team but there is a slight problem. She doesn't go to that high school. She goes to a small charter school high school, although the traditional high school still allows them to try out.



Last week in a frenzy we thankfully learned that the high school was having tryouts in ONE hour!!!!! She was PETRIFIED. But she decided to go for it with a tiny ounce of my gentle "giving her no choice". Because, "that's how I roll".



I was very proud of her for just trying! Justine has a LOT of anxiety in most areas of life. And only a little training in softball. She has only played one time a year for one month for several years, and that is it. Also she and two of her friends were sort of walking into foreign territory as it wasn't their high school.




(These other two girlies are twins! Can you believe it?)



So she had around 7 hours of try outs in two days and she and her friends made the team! She is happy and stressed. She has had kind of a quiet life. School, church, helping out at home, 4-H. This is practicing 4 time a week! And we are getting the idea that the practices might be somewhat grueling. (AND her biggest devastation is that she will be missing American Idol! We are still in the ice age with no dvr-ing)


So we have had a few talks about how....yes, it is going to be hard. But that it will feel good to really work for something and be on a team. And how she has been wanting to get in shape any way and that even though it might be hard, to embrace that pain of working hard. Oh,... and that it is more important to experience life than to watch American Idol...that one I had to tell to myself, as I have yet to see one full episode this season. Grr.


This will be definitely a different experience for us. But we are very excited. And a little stressed about adding more stuff to our already hectic life. But I would have NEVER thought I had a daughter who played HIGH SCHOOL sports. I mean NEVER. Even though I enjoy competition I was just so un athletic I just NEVER thought it. It is new and exciting and Corey and I are proud. I think Corey is extra proud because he played high school foot ball at this same school.


Along with proud we are also........ out $300.00 dollars. Yep. You heard right. That is what it cost to buy....cleats, new shoes, the special socks, special warm undershirt, the fee to play, sweatshirt, t-shirt, batting gloves and new water bottle. *owie* But how could I have told this good girl no?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love these pics! (does Justine really have a threatening personality? I've never seen it)
How fun for her!! So sad she (and both those twins) won't be babysitting for me as much anymore now that they're so busy!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. You will do well and have fun, but some pain and tiredness is probably attached.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...