Monday, May 2, 2011

Spiders aren't that scary people!


I hate to this admit this in a public forum but I have ALWAYS been quite judgemental of people who are scared of little bugs and spiders. I mean grow up already! Yes,.... I realize that I have to feel my husband's pointed head at night to make sure it is really him in my marital bed and not some creeper, but spiders? Come on already!

Spiders are tiny!!!!! Their jumpiness is overrated, they rarely bite....or even have mouths big enough to bite... I just really don't get the big scare.

Worms don't bother me, bugs don't bother me, centipedes don't bother me, bees don't bother me. Hornets...they terrify me, but me and insects and arthropods and arachnids?....we are good with each other.

The other day Nathan threw a worm on me. THREW A WORM ON ME! I was STUNNED! Completely Stunned. (I really like repeating things twice.)

It was a rainish day. I was walking my boy to a scout camp out down the street and I, mind you, was carrying the BULK OF HIS STUFF! He picks up a worm and tosses it at me! I just stood there looking at him. I didn't even bother trying to find where it had landed, which may or may not have been on my hair or neck. I just stared at him. Uh....are you for reals kid? Cause I know you just didn't do that! Are you SERIOUS?

I stared at him. He stared at me. I stared at him...into his goofy, brace face, smile as he just thinks he is so funny and smart for throwing a worm at me. He was waiting for my reaction. He was waiting for a wimpy mom to run and scream at a worm on her. Uh...that wouldn't be me.

I was, however, APPALLED at the rudeness of my boy throwing a worm at me. While I was carrying his crap, nonetheless, to camp in the neighbors back yard!

So I have been noticing that Kate has been a little scared of spiders etc.. Frankly, I have been ignoring it because I have never had a kid bothered much by them and I was hoping it would pass. But I think I might have a kid who is scared of bugs! It's so foreign to me. So strange to hear her little wimpy voice coming to get me....

Her-"a spider in my doll house!".

Me- "And?"

When I grew up we always let spiders go outside. We didn't harm them. My dad even had a little dixie cup labeled his spider cup, his cup to catch spiders to let go in. Even now I have a very difficult time wiping down spider webs with spiders in them from the ceiling. They don't bother me. Their just living their little spider lives.

Today I was doing laundry in the basement. Kate came to get me in a panic because there was a fly up stairs in the window. She refused to go back upstairs until I came with her. Then for the next hour I received regular updates about the fly. "It's sleeping!"

See? Whenever you are judgemental of others, that same problem happens to you. Now I will have to live a life with a wimpy girl scared of bugs and spiders!

Weird.

Here's a little Kronicles of Kate for you in case you were missing her a little... I still have to keep all the doors locked with baby proof doorknobs. Today I felt I was in prison as I would go out a door and shut it, locked, behind me. Go to the next door, shut it, locked behind me. Gotta keep the place secure with the mascara bandit around!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

However, you should kill hobo and blackwidow spiders if they are where the kids might not see them and get bitten. The hobos I kill, the blackwidows get hauled to an obscure part of the yard.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...