Saturday, May 14, 2011

Well, hello there, long lost friend! Good to see you!

When I was a little girl I really loved Smurfs. I collected them and we would take them to school and trade them and make villages for them out of those rolls of butcher paper. I had a Smurf Christmas record album that I LOVED! I watched Smurfs every Saturday for Saturday morning cartoons. I am SOOO excited for the new Smurf movie! Smurfs bring me back to the warmth of my childhood just like Jovan musk perfume.

I still can remember my dad taking me to the hobby store and I picked out this really great Smurf.

It was a treat, I remember, because my dad took me. This Smurf had the edge on the other Smurfs because he was more exciting having gymnast even bars as accessories.


I remember taking him to school the next day to show my friends. Especially, my friend "B.K" who also loved Smurfs. We were buddies and we would always play Smurfs together. He loved my gymnast Smurf also and he asked if I would trade. I didn’t want to. My heart was breaking and my brain was yelling NO! But for some reason I just couldn’t say no.

So I said yes and traded my gymnast Smurf away. I had only owned him for a day. Did I tell you he was a really great Smurf? That my dad bought him for me?



When I got home from school that night my older brother had to do his older brotherly job and inform me how dumb that was to trade the Smurf away and hurt my dad’s feelings. It solidified the stupidness of my actions.



I seem to remember apologizing to my dad but I think I remember he said it was mine and didn’t seem bothered. So that was at least nice.



For my entire life I have felt bad over this. Bad that I lost my Smurf and bad that I did that to my dad.


I was a strangely quilt ridden child. I don’t know why. I was also a model child because I was so guilt ridden over everything that I would truly suffer if I had done something really wrong, let alone just make an unwise trade. A trade I didn’t want to do anyway. But I just could never say no when people wanted something of me. (kinda like now!)


When I became a grownup I somehow think Corey and his “Screw it” attitude taught me to chill and relieved me from some guilt. It has sort of been a blessing. I can let a lot more roll of my shoulders



So a little while ago, on a whim, I tried to find the Smurf through the wide world of the Internet. But he wasn’t there. I was very happy to see so many Smurfs out for sale again. I even just HAD to buy a little Smurfette with her baby on her shoulder like she was burping it. She was three dollars. I loved her!


I still have a shoe box full of my child hood Smurfs. Someday when I have a bigger house with wall space to spare I want to put up a little collectors shelf of them. Nerdy? I know.



So my girlie is going to coach Bo’s t-ball team this year. Her team is called The Smurfs and we got them to put "Smurf" on the boy shirts and "Smurfette" on the girl shirts. Uhh….couldn’t you just die! SO CUTE. And their shirts are Blue of course! I think I am going to buy some white letters so the coach's shirts say "Coach Smurfette" on it.



So I was looking for Smurf paraphernalia for her little team when I found this......


TA DA!!!!

It’s him! My beloved even bar gymnast Smurf!!! $20 bucks on ebay!


Hmmm.


What to do. What to do.


Is it worth it? To let go of a lifetime of regret?


Maybe if I didn’t have 6 needy kids. It’s just nice to see him again regardless.


I also LOVE the following...



Bride Smurfette
I had this one....The key would lock the door and everything!



Adorable!
A MONK Smurf!!!! Love it!!!


No comments:

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...