Thursday, April 28, 2011

Aww, Man! ......Monkeys get all the breaks!

Went to the zoo yesterday with my mom and the two little people who NEVER stop talking. EVER.

We have the best little small town zoo ever. You can see everything in an hour and as long as the otters are out you are completely satisfied. (Okay....I really long for some elephants but since it is just a small zoo I take what I can get.)








I love Kate's little suprised face as they swam up to the glass...




Also, you know how I am always wondering what I should be when I grow up? I have always felt so at home at zoos. And I have been dying to get behind the scenes and cut up some food for the monkeys and birds, etc... I think I should go for zoology. I'm seriously thinking about it. Sort of.

This was maybe the first time ever I didn't need a stroller or diaper bag or a children's leash to go to the zoo. Bo and Kate just ran free and it was great. This new stage of life is going to be a dang blast even though I am achy over it. Who am I? Where is my life heading? I am old! I have no more babies! My heart hurts.

Anyhoo,

We have the coolest monkeys ever. They always come down to visit. And they are loud which makes them most entertaining. And they swing like crazy. And I have yet to see one pick his bum which makes them all the better. Is that offensive? Oh...sorry for that.















And these little Lemurs and I go WAY back. Once upon a time, in a life I can barely remember, I worked for the zoo veterinarian. One of these monkeys pulled their arm out of socket and I got to take it to the real life human doctor to be x-rayed. It was sedated so we got along just fine.




Corey does. Not. like. Monkeys. He has a monkey aversion. Honest. Monkeys gross him out!






For Easter our neighbor has a wild Easter egg hunt and the kids always come home with a trash bag (NO JOKE) of STUFF! Like 8 stuffed animals each sometimes! The "after crazy Easter egg hunt purging" goes on for a year afterwards as I slowly sneak junk out!





Rhett found this little gem at the hunt! When I saw it I said "ohhh, my favorite! Did you get that for me?" He said, "I did" and threw it at me. Sweet boy. I put it on my bed and Corey freaked out. Seriously, I like this ape.








So I am watching these cute little black monkeys. I read that they have a baby. I notice the baby is just ALL OVER the mother monkey. Just engulfingher with his little spasticness. And I think, "Yep, been there done that. Still doing that!"


Then I read the little sign about the new baby monkey when I read this!.....



Oh, I'm sorry, did your brain not compute that either? I'll let you read it again....




THAT'S RIGHT! The dads take care of the babies.


THE DADS TAKE CARE OF THE BAAAAABBBBBIIIIIEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!

That was the DAD taking care of the baby and getting all MAULED!

Huh. Now isn't that interesting!



They are not hiking the world's tallest mountains all summer.



They are not hunting bear in the hills all spring!



They are not skiing in the winter!



They are TAKING CARE OF THE BABIES!



I guess that is why Corey doesn't like the monkeys. They have nothing in common. (Truth be told, I have secetly always been glad he didn't take care of the babies. Because then I got to hog them all to myself.) But still.....THE DADS TAKE CARE OF THE BABIES!!!!!



Someone please tell me...why do the monkeys got it so good?






This is the baby just for your information. Cute little stinker!

Toward the end of our zooing Kate was getting tired. So for some reason she grabs my mom's hand and says "I hate mommy".



It might be a good time to add that I just might have the thickest skin of anyone I know. Takes a lot to hurt my feelings. And in regards to Kate, although she has never said that before, it didn't phase me. Let's face it...when you have one of two of the world's nicest grandmas spoiling you at your every beck -n- call, mama isn't looking to hot anymore.

So we were walking by another lady. She was young and obviously with her first and only child.



How do I know this? Becasue she wore a back pack on her back. Stuffed full of child parfinallia for any occasion she might happen to come upon with her toddler. Even. though. she. could. litterally. sprint. to. her. car. in. less. then. 5. minutes. she. still. wore. the. 20. pound. back. pack.Yep, first time mama.

So when she hears my kid say she hates me I know she thinks the earth just shook to it's core. Once again, how do I know this? Becasue her head couldn't have spun around any faster or any more degrees to look at the little offender.

Now, my children are not smart mouths. They know better. But I am not going to get frazzeled over a tired, just barely departed from toddlehood, girl speaking nonsense. Just sayin'. Agree or disagree.



But I agree cause non of my other kids would dare say that so I think Im fine.... If we had been home, and over prepared women hadn't been sucking all the oxygen out of the monkey house in dismay, I would have reprimanded her. But just to shock over prepared mom I consiously didn't say a word.



Ha ha. She is probably blogging right now about bad mothers who don't properly prepare for the zoo and then let their kids speak disrespectfully.




Gotta love it. Life is funny. I want to say its a hoot. But out of proper respect for owls and old people I will just say it is funny. And fun.




Enjoy some really marginal pictures of the zoo. I gotta get a better camera! Oh...and spell check KEEPS breaking! So I just can't fix everything.




Hello, my pretties....and yes I mean it.








I never knew peacock tails were this amazing!!!!











Sweetest most chillax gal on earth! (hey, I didn't mention this but the other night I told my friend she had a frenemy... friend/enemy. I thought I was so cute and funny. I thought I invented the word....turns out...not.)










Uhh....these are the cutest species on EARTH!!! They look like little old men.



Oh...P.S. According to Kate...



This is Grandpa,





and this is Grandma...




She's a smart one, I've been telling ya!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

SOOOO funny!!! I love the monkey that slams itself into the window trying to protect its domain. LOL!!! My husband HATES zoos, but the kids and I all LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them!!! Maybe it's because I feel like I live in one most of the time so it feels like home away from home...who knows??? BTW... I love feeding your fish on here. :) Have a great evening!

Terri Porter said...

We are not frenemies. We have just come to a place (he's learned I'm someone he doesn't win when we go to blows)where we (he, cuz I've always been capable of this) can actually work together instead of against each other.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...