Sunday, March 3, 2013

assumptions

The Third Agreement 

Don't make assumptions. Find the courage
 to ask questions and to express what you
 really want. Communicate with others as
clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings,
sadness, and drama. With just this one agree-
ment, you can completely transform your life.

By Don Ruiz and the book "The Four Agreements".

Okay...this may be the sole reason Kristopher had me read this book. I cannot tell you how many assumptions I have made. SO MANY. If I would have just slowed down, stayed rational, and asked questions, I could have avoided a lot of trouble and even some heartache.

I must be a slow learner!

Ruiz says "The problem with assumptions is that we believe they are truth. We could swear they are real. We make assumptions about what others are doing or thinking-- we take it personally-- then we blame them and react by sending emotional poison with our word. That is why whenever we make assumptions  were asking for problem. We make assumptions, we misunderstand, we take it personally, and we end up creating a whole big dram for nothing."

"It is very interesting how the human mind works. We have need to justify everything, to explain and understand everything, in order to feel safe. We have millions of questions that need answers because there are so many things that reason cannot explain. It is not important if the answer is correct; just the answer makes us feel safe. This is why we make assumptions."

"The way to keep yourself from making assumptions is to ask questions. Make sure the communications is clear. If you don't understand, ask. Have the courage to ask question until you are clear as you can be, and even then do not assume you know all there is to know about a given situation. Once you hear the answer, you will not have to make assumptions because you will know the truth."

I assume things ALL the time. We probably all do. Being more conscious of this act would be incredibly important. I think. I liked how Ruiz says it is your brain trying to explain things because it needs reasons for things.

Another night of only 5 brown M&M's. It is a cruel world sometimes. And why can't a king size package have the same calories as a normal size?

I have been watching Downton Abbey. It is enjoyable. Really. But I cannot stand the rich people just waiting for the maids to undress them. That would DRIVE ME CRAZY. If I was a rich person I would still undress myself. Holy cow already.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great post:) I have been struggling with assumptions about my husband lately and even recognized it and then continued to think irrationally. I really needed to read this post today.

Thank you!

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...