Monday, August 23, 2010

One mothers attack on dyslexia

Dyslexia. Ugh. I still hate you. I am still frustrated by you. I don't appreciate you yet.

Here is our fight against dyslexia thus far...


Rhett is now seeing a speech therapist who had to order a $1000.oo program for his treatment. He sees her twice a week. He likes to go. It doesn't surprise me. She is gorgeous. Tall, slender, fancy dresser, plus she gives him soda pop and candy. She also feeds him popcorn and lets him play on the computer during his break.



Here is what his homework looks like. She thinks he is coming along okay.







We have hung these signs around the house. We are trying to quiz him on his words.




Last year I bought him a TAG pen. Its is WAY cool. It reads the words of the books programed to work with the pen. So when I can't help him (which is often because of little siblings who need drinks 50 times a day) he can take his pen and read. You just point the pen on the word and it says it. What a world we live in.



One enormous factor in Rhett's learning problem is the fact that he has an alien inside his body in which I have come to lovingly refer to as ADHD. For anyone who doesn't believe it is a real thing please come sit by my kid during church. Please drive in the car next to my kid. You'll walk away a believer.

For anyone who believes better discipline could solve the problem, perhaps in some situations that may be true. I am a fan of good discipline. But there is truly a little motor inside my kid and I believe it is not in his power to control himself in regards to sitting still and not fidgeting and not trying to pull my arm hairs out at church and ...not, not, not....anything you can think of to be fidgety. He is not even allowed to ride on the front seat of the car with me.


Why is that again? Oh yes. Turn on the cigarette lighter, open the glove box, shuffle through the glove box, turn on the over head light, shut the glove box, shut off the overhead light, turn on the overhead light, turn off the overhead light, turn on the overhead light, turn on the radio, push a bunch of buttons, move the vents all one way, move the vents all another way, roll down the window, beg to steer, turn on the light, beg to steer, turn off the light, beg to steer, try to steer, ask me why just to annoy me over and over..... turn on the.....




"AAAAAHHHHHHHH! You are never riding in the front seat again!!!!!!"


And that is really not an exaggeration!


He truly can't seem to stop. Maybe over time he will develop some skills but for now it is not within his own capabilities.

Therefore ,


We have medicated him for ADHD. It BREAKS my heart and I know there is a lot of controversy. I am not the pro. I am learning as I go here but I am NOT going to let him not have every chance he can have. I know there may be lots of criticism on medication and I HATE it do death also but I am just doing my best here. I really hated it the first week when I kept finding him like this.... I was so depressed.



It took a few weeks to get use to the medicine. It made him so tired at first. It hurt to see him like this because it feels like I have stifled his personality. But is spasticness his personality or a symptom of his ADHD. It is hard to know what the right choice is. He has acclimated to the medicine and is doing better. I defiantly don't have all the answers and I am doing my best. I am not medicating him because he bugs me or because I am annoyed by him. I am medicating him because he literally can't sit still to work on his work.

Speaking of work....this kid is the best worker we have in our house. I think I will keep him. He loves to work and he is VERY capable and does a good job!

Also I just wanted to let you know that even though there is an alien in my child I have very high hopes for his future.


Like a lighthouse in the storm,



like a beacon in the night,



like Hershey chocolate to a depressed house wife...



I know of someone else who is riddled with ADHD (and he is medicated). And he is lighting my heart with hope, you know, when he isn't terrifying me with his scary talk.


(well, hello there Glenny! Lookin' good!)


Today I had to cry because I was thinking of my poor buddy at school. I was thinking of the teacher passing him out assignments and paper work. Although they are aware of his dyslexia he just can't have someone there every second. And if they forget to help him.... Anyway, I was picturing him just in a little fog because he can't read the top of the paper to know what he is suppose to do and he will be too embarrassing to ask.


The other day he got to go to dinner with some friends who have kids his age. He wanted help with the menu and the kids were surprised he couldn't read. He told them he had a disease.


I wish there was a little computer symbol to show a person with their big sad fat lip out.... Cause that's me.... right now.

Dear Dyslexia, you can go away now and take ADHD with you!

3 comments:

Pirate Princess said...

HUGS!!!!

Terri Porter said...

Oh Susan, bless you. You are such a great person. I don't say that lightly. You had to have been a very valiant spirit for Heavenly Father to entrust these precious, beautiful children with all their needs in your loving arms.
I will share a little secret with you....I put Kenzie on meds today for ADD. I'm hoping her last two years at school will be better than the other 10. Sydney is also medicated...for other issues but believe me, it hasn't been an easy decision to make. I have seen a huge difference in Syd. So all we can do as parents is....do what we feel is best. With a little help from our Heavenly Father, I think they will make it through ok.

Susan said...

Mary said...you do the best you can-he will follow, he is your blessing,he will shine in other ways-coming from your home and your heart, he will be ok...:)
Kim said... Oh Susan ... my heart goes out to you. I can see this all weighs heavily on your heart. You are a wonderful mom and I am often inspired by you. You are doing the best you can, and taking steps. And taking it a day, even a moment at a time is great. I have a friend in this exact position right now and who has had to medicate their child for the same reasons. This is a family who doesn't even use Tylenol or over the counter meds at all, and eat and use nothing but organic products. This has been heartbreaking for them and I have had many phone calls with her in tears. I will say though, that they have found the right balance, and their daughter is really doing well. It's been a process. I wish I could give you a big hug right now. You keep forging ahead, keep smiling and keep shining. ♥
Ronda Butcher said... I understand how you must be feeling. Jordan is ADD and dyslexic...I think they must go hand in hand. =( We tried everything before giving her medicine but nothing worked. She only took it during school hours, and yes it broke my heart, but... it was for her own good. She had to be able to learn enough to survive in the real world when she grew up. She had behavioral problems, learning problems, and rarely slept. She was a handful to say the least. But we did make it thru! =) If you have ANY questions and I can help please let me know. It's great to have a support system. Best of luck ♥
Linda Jensen said... Susan--you are wonderful!!! I know someone else, now an adult, who is severely dyslexic and has ADHD. He struggles with it at work, church, home, basically everywhere. He struggled through school, but got a HS diploma. Struggled through co...llege, got a degree. Went to graduate school and at his graduation, gave an address to his fellow graduates. He now has a wonderful job. His Mom was his strength and now he also has a wife who totally supports him. And yes, he has to use the awful drugs to keep on an even keel. You know him too, but I don't want to betray his struggle in a public forum and I don't have your e-mail address, so I'll send it to Corey. Keep your little guy's name on the prayer roll--I know it's an awful disease just like cancer or diabetes. Love ya!
Lindasaid... Dear Susan, You're a blessing to your friends as well as your family. Love, your friends
Nancy said...You are a wonderful mom and always put your family first! Know Rhett will be ok because you are there to help with whatever he needs! Hooray for you!
Kent said...I was trying to remember some of the people, mostly of fame and success who have dyslexia - Henry Winkler (recently wrote 5 books of kid stories that included some of his experiences woven in), Tom Cruise, John D. Rockerfeller, and a family... member who was 60ish before any of us know, Aaron W.
Me I was just lazy and mean and hard headed for no apparent reason, but when I went to BYHigh and also discovered how much I liked geology things changed. At least I think they did. I might still be a rock head, but it is Dr. Rockhead to you all. By the way what is the official Gem of the Gem State (ID) and why was it not so named after a gem?
Susan said...hmmm. I don't know!
Viki said...Bailey Idaho star garnet?

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...