Monday, August 9, 2010

Look at me! In the real world tonight!

Last night I got to go to dinner with Corey's employers. Ohhh Ohhh Ahhhh Ahhhh. Yes. Very exciting. Seems like that kind of thing doesn't happen much any more. They are from out of town and we have only met people from his company once. They were treating us to basically the nicest restaurant in town. It is so fun when you get a treat like that and you don't have to worry about the price. We also got to sit by the enormous window right by the river and it was beautiful.



So it is always very stressful for me. Which of the two shirts, that aren't stained, am I going to wear? What do I not say to not embarrass Corey? How can I look as skinny as possible?


As I was driving I realized I forgot my fancy necklace! Grr. I really wanted to make a good impression!



Since I showed you all my horrible pictures from the hike here is an actual picture of me with make up on and my hair down. Although it is a weird picture since I had to take it of myself. If I want Corey to like me I'll wear my hair down. It works like a charm. But because I get hot it is almost always up. But I know he hates short hair so I won't cut it. It is a dilemma that is for sure! My way cool photographer friend's ( http://www.emilyandnate.net/) husband wont tell her which way he like her hair. Don't you think that is one smart husband?


So I got my hair down and flat ironed the crud out of it just the way he likes it.


Here is me....



I even wore lipstick which Corey noticed because he told me I was glossy. Ha. You know how you are suppose to dress nice and prettied up for your husband? I am awful at that. I hope someday I will do a better job but for now it is just not happening. Also, I did my own make up in high school and have never ONCE changed my ways. I draw those two big black football player lines under my eyes. I am not sure why I do that. Also I think my eyes always look slightly spooky. They are too shiny and with my black make up on I notice I often look freaky.


Anyway I am going to tell you in detail what I ate so you can live vicariously through me in case you never get to go to the nicest place in town either. It was all I could do not to take pictures of my food but I thought they might think that peculiar.


We started off with Escargot which of course is this...



drenched in butter and garlic sauce over dried bread. Had it before..it was fine.

We had calamari which of course, is this....



had it before, not really a fan.... Come to think of it, I had a traumatic experience once with an octopus and maybe that is why I don't like it.


Then I had a salad with cashews and baby shrimp with garlic house dressing and rolls with real butter. And fresh ground pepper...by the cutest girl waitress ever.

Then for my dinner I had stuffed halibut. Doesn't that sound divine? It was. It was stuffed with fancy cheese, crab, and shrimp. It was so good. And it was served with garlic potatoes that has so much yummy butter my arteries clogged right then. And that halibut had some lime sauce on it. With fresh chives. And a wine sauce. But the alcohol cooks out so I'm good, right?

Anyway dinner was fun. These guys were the pros, with back up conversation planned when we ran out of stuff to say. At one point the boss guy even said..."So here's a funny story..." and he proceeded to tell us, indeed, a funny story. Smooth.
They were so nice and were sufficiently in awe of our 6 children and their snazzy "how does she do it" mother and they were very kind. I was even able to sneak in a brag about Corey jogging 6 miles a night. These guys are from out of town where exercising is trendy. They had just exercised to come to dinner. Have you noticed exercising is becoming trendy around here also? Everyone is running. I guess I will always be un cool.

Also they toasted the husbands. That was slightly awkward. Do I toast since I am not one of the ones being toasted to? Do I toast to the good workers even though I didn't start the toast and really was just a wife intruding on the work dinner? (Did I mention I was the only wife who came? I guess I need out of the house more than the other wives.) Can you toast with water? I thought it was just if you had champagne? What are the toasting etiquette's? I for sure don't know. So I toasted.


We are lucky that Corey is contracted through great employers. They send us a ham at Christmas, a gift card for Corey's birthday and even an e-mail on our anniversary. Crazy huh?

And then to top off the night when they asked if anyone wanted dessert Corey piped in that he would love a turtle brownie something fancy ice cream dish, for he and I to share. Most people never get dessert and I love dessert and he knew I would want one but would NEVER order it so he saved the day for me. Wasn't that the best? What a great doughnut I have for a husband. He doesn't even like sweets!!!

(P.S.... That counted for appreciation number 31, right????)


Anyway, fun night. Made me think I am super sheltered and need to get out in the world more. I almost professed my love for Glenn Beck but the realized these guys might not love my Glenny and maybe politics isn't appropriate dinner convo. So I need more life experience than you find when you are living in a small town and raising little goof balls all day. Someday I want to live in New York where you don't have a car and you live in a small apartment and walk where ever you go and go to plays and museums and the market and the book store. Doesn't that sound like fun?

The best part of the night though was when I came home (a little later than Corey because we drove separately and I stopped at the fabric store (I am dying for new curtains which somehow must include aqua in them)) and the sun was going down and it was dusk and Corey was hitting the softball to Justine in the field in front of our house and Kate was pushing her baby in the stroller close by and Bo who was still wearing his pajamas for the day came to say hi and I threw the ball with Rhett to pass off part of his cub scouts. That was way better than eating snails anyday!

2 comments:

Janetlee said...

I haven't read your blog in a while but I read this one and it was truly entertaining. You should be a columnist. And I could never eat snails.

Susan said...

Kim-Sounds like a lovely evening! And Susan, you look very beautiful in your photo!

Kelly-I love the photo too.... Very blue eyes that I have always wished I had been born with! Loved the evening....;)

Nancy-Glad you had a fun night! Thanks for coming by this afternoon!

Mary-you have your mom's gorgeous eyes, don't doubt yourself, you are beautiful inside and out-great night!!!

Nancy-A great Blogg. You are incredible. from Dad ( my #1 computer- Dell - is out for repair and my #2 - Mickey - is slower). In Ga when I was a student I ate a lot of small Perrywinkle escargot with all the other body parts attached.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...