Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Keeping our muchness about us!


Today, in keeping with tradition, the kids and I went and saw a summer movie. "Alice in wonderland". I got these summer movies down to a science. We all bring in water bottles and I bring in plastic cups. Then we buy one extra large popcorn that comes with a free refill for under $5.00. It works out perfect. By the end of summer, the kids get their fill of movies and popcorn, and I get to zone out in an air conditioned building. It rocks!

So today during the movie, Johnny Depp, who is ever so interesting as the "Mad Hatter", disappointingly tells Alice, (who is returning to wonderland but doesn't realize she is "the" Alice, who is suppose to slay some beast but doesn't think it is in her to do so), ... “You were much more... muchier. You've lost your muchness,” he tells her.

I loved that. I related to that. I felt that in my bones. I was much more...muchier at one point in my life. I have lost MY muchness. I think it happens to the best of us. I had such great plans for myself. I was going to be something that I don't think I have attained at all. It is terribly disappointing how average I am. I was going to be so much more muchier!

Also, as we all do, I probably don't realize my own muchness. I am not seeing my own muchness. Just as most of us don't. I can see your muchness, and you can see mine, but we don't see our own... do we? Sad. That is probably one of the greatest tools of Satan. To keep us discouraged and despairing our own lack of muchness.

Another way I have lost my muchness is that I think my trials have made me cynical. They have worn me down and I have not turned to the Lord as I should have. I have not gone to my source of "muchness" or always relied on what was "muchier". I spend too much time wishing I was someone else with this quality or that quality and not enough time being grateful. I have not grown in areas I should have. I have not turned to the scriptures and prayer and fed my muchness. I have let my muchness remain stagnant. I have wasted many a day just trying to get through it instead of achieving and maintaining my muchness.

Although, I don't know how I could have done it different. The days are hard sometimes. Days of trying to be most patient, of trying to not eat too many carbs, no sugar, of trying to pay all these little people enough attention, trying to give the one big person in the house enough attention, of trying not to escape from life and a messy house by checking Face Book 100 times a day, trying to do everything on my list, trying to pay all the bills, cook nutritious meals, etc, etc, etc...

I don't know...it has all worn me down and made me lose my muchness too. I am right there with you Alice. I feel ya, girl!

Just as you realized your muchness in the end I believe someday I will see my muchness too. But for today it feels as if I have lost it. I am not the muchier person I thought I was going to be at this stage in my life. I really had great visions for myself as a person. Sometimes I think I have spent so many years trying to help my family achieve their muchness that my own has slipped away. But I also know without a doubt that helping them and others gain their muchness is how I receive my own. Interesting, huh?


Please don't comment telling me how "much" I am. That isn't what this post is about. It was just some thoughts I had. I know I have some great muchnessess about me. Something about that line in the movie just resonated in my today. What do you all thing on the subject? Do share.

7 comments:

Pirate Princess said...

I thought the entire post was filled with "muchiness". Seriously - it was quite deep. Kudos, hon!

Chelly said...

Well, Susan~ you made me cry. I felt this post "in my bones"! And it was so incredibly comforting to know I wasn't the only person feeling this way today~ I had a pretty dreadful "much-LESS" day and find myself not wanting to go to bed until I accomplish SOMEthing besides being a hormonally-challenged grumpy mother. Unfortunately, all my "muchies" (everytime I see this word I hear "muNchies" in my head lol) are sleeping now and I'm sitting here like a worthless clod on the computer LOL Thank you so much for sharing that~ I think we should start a Mommy Much-ness club (I love excuses to gather with girls!) We could goal-set or read inspiring things and have low-carb treats on my depression glass dishes and just remind each other how much "much" we have within us. And I have air conditioning so you'd get a two-fer ;o) You're right though~ we do attain our own much-ness through that of our sweet children and spouses~ lose ourselves to find ourselves~ brilliant, really. But not at all easy sometimes. You're not alone <3 And thank you so much for reminding me tonight that I'm not, either ((((((hugs!))))))

TROY said...

I totally hear you!! You put it so well, it is nice to know I'm not the only one that feels this way. Thanks Susan :) Remember there are more people out there like you than you think!!

Heather (I can't figure out why it keeps posting with my husband's stuff ... oh well)

Emily said...

Excellent post that I think all mothers (and I suppose men) can relate to. It is hard to remember that our muchness has little to do with greatness by the world's standards and everything to do with sacrifice and service.

Knudson said...

I feel the same way a lot of time! I do see your muchness! I love your blogging so much and enjoy reading them the make me happy! love you! Becks

Jennifer said...

Gosh, I love your blog. You are spot on in saying this is how Satan works, to get us discouraged. There is a difference between inner muchness and outer muchness. One is an understanding of our incredible worth and divine nature, the other is a measure of how the world sees us. Or rather, how we think the world sees us.

I really like your 30th husband appreciation post. We find what we look for, don't we? I guess I'd rather look for the good.

I'm OK with being a thoroughly forgettable classmate if you don't mind that I still check in here!

Susan said...

Michelle said...♥Thank you for sharing this!

Mary S. said...I just LOVE reading your blogs. I'm thinking you should look into a publisher someday... thanks for sharing!!!

Heather said...Thanks so much! I so know how you feel, now I'm going to be using the word muchness more often :)

Kim said...I think we can all relate to what you are saying, for sure!

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...