Thursday, November 4, 2010

Kitchen Dreams....

Alright! I know everyone has been dying to hear about my plans for my kitchen. Well, do you know how much trouble it is to get pictures to show you my plans? I have to clean the kitchen every time!

And since I have been busy tearing the lining in my chest from coughing so much I haven't been so motivated. Seriously, I injured myself. I can tell when I pick up "the baby" that it hurts right in the spot it hurt when I coughed really hard.


So anyway, the very first step in my kitchen redo will be... (thanks to cousin Scott and Rashiel for the tip)... to move this oven to where the fridge is.

The fridge and oven are facing each other. Very closely. They have a very close facing relationship. They are in each others bubble. They are close up talkers. (You know from Seinfeld?)


(See the dents in the fridge? Yeah. We had it only a short time when Rhett decided to hammer it.)

Then I would like to put a microwave above the oven, you know, like how it is in normal kitchens...Right below these cupboards...



Don't you think that seems like a good plan?


Now, I know everyone loves an island and all the cool kitchens have them these days, however, this one is a disaster....that is why it has to go...


I have even had people tell me how much I must love this island. I DON"T. It isn't practical. The kitchen is not big enough for a island. And just because you stick an oven in the middle of the room with a tiny patch of counter top on it, does not constitute it as an island. My friend's island (like 6 ft x 3 ft) hides itself in shame at being called the same thing as my oven in the middle of a room.

Believe it or not, there use to be ginormous cupboards hanging above the oven also. that was attractive. I wouldn't move in until they were gone. So thankfully, my dad and Corey removed them.


Another problem with this "island" is the kids spend their time standing on the chairs in the back of the oven watching and "helping" me cook. Which is dangerous but also annoying night after night, little hands grabbing trying to assist.



Bo once broke my heart. I didn't have time to let him help me make a cake but he had helped before and he couldn't understand why he couldn't help this time. He was telling me that he helps me. I told him I know but this time he can't. So he shows me the picture of the cake box and it shows a little kid helping make the cake. He tells me "See? Kids help!" Killer.


Okay, this, my friends, is the counter space I have in which to prepare food on.

I have two other counter tops but the cupboards above them make them extremely uncomfortable to work on. So we work (and serve food) on this little counter top which leads to working on the oven which leads me to wiping down the burners and the burner plates every day. So if I remove this "island" I will be losing my cupboard space but it is so difficult anyway I have a solution which I think might work, but I'll be posting that one later!


I really need a knew oven. Since all three vehicles are truly dying at once it might not happen but this oven is on it's deathbed as well. I can't WAIT to bury it.I love the ovens with flat tops but gas ones make sense if there is no power. Also the kitchen I am copy catting has a gas oven. Also I heard you cannot can on those flat ovens.

Anyway, more to come next week. Feel free to give input or advice. But not on my incorrect comma usage.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Good luck with your kitchen! Sounds like you have a good plan so far. Kitchen's are definitely hard to design because you want the right workflow. Can't wait to hear/see more of what you're going to do!

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...