Sunday, November 7, 2010

Appreciation for husband, Sunday, the 40th

I usually get into bed after Corey. My bed time routine takes longer than his I guess ( see bottom of post for why that is... *wink*). Once in bed I fall asleep in one minute flat and he stews in bed for about an hour. I am sort of a fussy sleeper. I can only sleep on my stomach, I must have my own flat pillow, otherwise I feel like I am suffocating in pillowness. Corey must have a ridiculously puffy pillow. I can't be hot, the bed must be made at the bottom and tucked in very tight,... And I can not have dry scratchy feet. I must have callous free feet or socks on. And I hate sleeping in socks.

Something I love about Corey though... he will be in bed first and I will lay down next to him and in one big swoosh he whips all three layers of our covers over me. It reminds me of one of my favorite children's books, where the mother owl swoops down with her gigantic owl wing covering her little owlets. I fell in love with owls after reading that book. Anyway, that big swoosh of the blankets means he loves me.

There has been occasions where he forgets this gesture, or he is asleep, or doesn't realize this is what he does,... and I have momentarily laid there, alone and coverless. Waiting for the wing of the owl sheets to cover me... but nothing happens. That is lonely.

Thankfully after this post, I suspect that won't happen so much.


Corey got his elk yesterday. Phew! Let the madness end!

Corey- 1991

And here is the truth as to why I go to bed later than Corey! (I don't know the author)

WHY I LOVE MOM

Mom and Dad were watching TV when Mom said, "I'm tired, and it's getting late. I think I'll go to bed."

She went to the kitchen to make sandwiches for the next day's lunches.
Rinsed out the popcorn bowls, took meat out of the freezer for supper the following evening, checked the cereal box levels, filled the sugar container, put spoons and bowls on the table and started the coffee pot for brewing the next morning.

She then put some wet clothes in the dryer, put a load of clothes into the washer, ironed a shirt and secured a loose button.

She picked up the game pieces left on the table, put the phone back on the charger and put the telephone book into the drawer.

She watered the plants, emptied a wastebasket and hung up a towel to dry.

She yawned and stretched and headed for the bedroom. She stopped by the desk and wrote a note to the teacher, counted out some cash for the field trip, and pulled a text book out from hiding under the chair.

She signed a birthday card for a friend, addressed and stamped the envelope and wrote a quick note for the grocery store. She put both near her purse.

Mom then washed her face with 3 in 1 cleanser, put on her Night solution & age fighting moisturizer, brushed and flossed her teeth and filed her nails.

Dad called out, "I thought you were going to bed."
"I'm on my way," she said.

She put some water into the dog's dish and put the cat outside, then made sure the doors were locked and the patio light was on.

She looked in on each of the kids and turned out their bedside lamps and TV's, hung up a shirt, threw some dirty socks into the hamper, and had a brief conversation with the one up still doing homework.

In her own room, she set the alarm; laid out clothing for the next day, straightened up the shoe rack. She added three things to her 6 most important things to do list. She said her prayers, and visualized the accomplishment of her goals.

About that time, Dad turned off the TV and announced to no one in particular. "I'm going to bed."

And he did...without another thought.
Anything extraordinary here? Wonder why women
live longer...?

CAUSE WE ARE MADE FOR THE LONG HAUL..... (and we can't die sooner, we still have things to do!!!!)

I thought that was funny. Isn't it the truth?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very funny! I wish I actually got that much done during my bedtime routine though. . . I'm usually just tired trying to get the girls to sleep.

Sister Savanah Jo Ward said...

I've been wanting a copy of this for years! Thanks for posting it! While I was reading the beginning of your post, it is what i was thinking of! And, my bedtime routine is much more bizarre than yours... My poor husband.

Susan said...

Mary McDowell said... we have to have ALL our ducks in a row..late at night when everyone was safely in their beds,that's when I caught up...think we are crazy...ha

Aine M Schulmire said... I thought it was cute too. grin emoticon

Kim Heinke said... This is great, Susan. You two are such a wonderful couple!

C. Kent Chamberlain said... I know of couples who have it reversed. She is in bed and he is still wondering around getting things done.

Nancy Chamberlain said... Who you talkin bout, Kent?

Sue Chapple said... Mike and I

Kim Heinke said... I have to admit, John is always the last one puttering around our house too.

Susan Chamberlain Nielsen said... Ha ha. This is funny. Corey just doesn't care about thing like I do. Like hanging up the phones, etc...

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...