Wednesday, November 17, 2010

More Kitchen planning!

This week I would like to share with you my collection! That is right....I have a collection. I had wanted to collect something for a while. Devilled egg plates would have been at the top of my list since I already have the best one ever, (given to me by my mother in law who was given to her as a gift from one of their hired sheep herders) but where would I keep them? And they can be pricey. But in case you care, I apparently am the best devilled egg maker around. Here is my secret recipe:

Eggs
Salt
Mayonnaise
Paprika on top

I get RAVE reviews! EVERY TIME. I. make. them! People request them. Honestly.

I think it is because no one ever makes them because they are a pain, so when they are served people are happy no matter what. Because as you can see, I have no secret ingredient. I always bring them to pot lucks etc... because eggs (use to be) are cheap.

So anyway I settled on Salt and Pepper shakers which are all probably made in China and going to give us led poisoning but what can ya do.

So in my kitchen redo I DESPERATELY want to display my collection. I have some fears it will look to cluttery but I am doing it nonetheless.

And I really only have one wall in which to display things. (the other has a window and the other has a great spice cupboard Corey made) On my only wall I already have something displayed there that I have had up for like seven years but I still love it so much I don't want to take it down.

I love it. I came up with the idea myself. I just like it. My dad and I made the shelf.

So I polled a few friends and we decided it wouldn't look too terrible here....

above where I will move my oven. Sad thing is it will not fit all of them but I will have to rotate them. You know since I am so good at getting stuff like that done.

None of my collection are antiques or anything special but I love them. (Plus antiques to pass down to generations have to start somewhere, right?) I don't spend much money on them. I can't bring myself to do so when I have kids who need stuff. But I still collect them when I can see them for under 10 dollars. I recently learned eBay has an abundance of salt and pepper shakers and since I impulsively bid on these poker ones...

(what is that about!?I don't even play poker)....I may have to stay clear from there. Target seems to be a great place to get them for cheap. Also my friend has picked some up from thrift stores for me.

So for your enjoyment here is my collection..... (the bagels are my favorite. And the penguin pushing the snow ball. And the Old Faithful ones.)

























So I have the shelves all painted and now I need to hang them up. That's all for now. (Oh yeah... I also love to get advent calenders, but I just can't collect everything.)

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Never having been in your kitchen I don't know if this idea would even work for you, but I once saw shelves put right in front of the kitchen window. The shelves themselves were glass (to not block light), and they sat atop ornamental brackets that were wider than the window. Something like this is especially cool with transparent pieces for the sun to shine through.

Fun collection. I like the idea of a rotating display. Would it freak you out to say that before I scrolled all the way down and saw the whole picture I thought the Old Faithful ones were the two halves of a brain?

Janetlee said...

Oh good! I now have a new home for some christmas salt and pepper shakers I've never used. They are coming to live at your house. BTW - my grandma collected salt and pepper shakers. I feel related to you now.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...