Thursday, September 29, 2011

What do you do when your dyslexic child writes worse than he reads?








Love him more. That's what I do.



And make arrangements with his teacher that these kind of papers aren't sent home anymore. She didn't mean for it to be sent home. Someone else graded it and didn't know of our arrangement that he would only be graded on 5 words...and that they would be which ever random five words he would get right....Except he isn't even getting one right.


My new plan is to only work on five. To ignore every single spelling word but five. His teacher has been great and willing to do whatever I think. And that is what I think.



We bought him this cool "Franklin" tool for like 50 dollars. He types in the word he thinks and it spells it to him correctly. It can also speak it and it can also define it. It is really cool....was really cool.


He broke it. Already. By lugging it around in his backpack. *sigh*.



Yesterday when Rhett and I were reading his book together Bo came up and finished reading the last two words for him. My heart soared. My little Bo is learning to read!!!! My heart broke. How hard it will be when Rhett's younger brother, by 4 years, can out read him.



Rhett was excited that Bo could read. He doesn't get down. I think it is really because he is super smart and VERY competent in other ways. I can't tell you the hours he spends outside working on our old crappy bikes. And he FIXES them!



We NEVER speak academics to him. EVER. We do his homework and encourage him and that is it. I never EVER mention low scores. Honestly....I don't care. I mean of course I care that he is struggling but his scores....I could care less. He is more than his low scores. He is a brilliant, beautiful boy.



I can't wait for his basket ball to start. He is hilarious. He is good and he is big! He should be playing football but I just can't get into that for some reason. But last year on the basketball court I heard a man next to me joke about Rhett (not realizing he was my kid)...."watch out for that kid, he is a bull!" And it is true. When he gets the ball he is just BARRELING down the court like a bull to try to get to the other end. Funny. And probably a bit dangerous.



Rhett's teacher told me a really sad story about reading time. Rhett went and got an enormous book off the shelf and was "reading" it and telling the kids all about it. As if he could read it. Now that breaks a mama bull's heart!


My boys... Nathan made it to 5'6" and a quarter. He's 12. He has a few inches to go and he will be as tall as Corey. I don't think COrey is going to take tha so well.



Found this one of Rhett on my camera. He took it of himself. Goof ball.

3 comments:

Terri Porter said...

This brought a little tear to my eye Susan. Not sure if it's cause my guy just needs some love too, or if it's because Heavenly Father sure knew who to send this tender, sweet, loving, brilliant little guy to. He is one lucky little.

Jennifer said...

Terri wrote exactly what I was going to say: That Heavenly Father chose the most loving, absolute best match of a mother for this special boy.

Our elementary school does a cross-age reading tutoring program. In assigned partnerships the sixth graders tutor second graders; fifth, the first; fourth, kindergarten. I talked to the teacher coordinator in depth about it one day. She said one of its successes is that EVERY child in the older grade gets to be a tutor. Especially the ones that are struggling themselves. In their eyes they finally get the chance to "help" someone else. This does wonders! Even if the younger child doesn't really need help, they are working as a team, and the older one still benefits.

I mention all this only because maybe you could create a scenario where Rhett feels he has something to offer Bo as both work to read.

Good luck to you. You are an amazing mother.

Anonymous said...

.
Nancy said...He is grandma's buddy, no matter how old he gets! Can't wait until he can drive and takes me to the movies!

Linda J. said...And like Winston Churchill said "...never give up!"

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...