Sunday, November 18, 2012

Thrift store shopping is funny!

 
One day when Justine and I had some time to kill we stopped by the thrift store. We had so much fun and sometimes we are so much alike that I just had to stop and take a picture of this kid. She is a DELIGHT. (Do I sound so old or what?) She thinks I am totally a weirdo for taking her picture but she knows her mama and that it is just easier to play along.
 
We bought some books, some jeans (I got a new pair of "Levi's" with tags on and everything!) some VHS's, cute pajama's for Kate, I can't remember what else. But we got some good deals and had fun. She and I have a pretty good time together.
 
I always feel super "contaminated" after the thrift store though. Like I can't get my hands clean enough. Like I need to wash up to my elbows and for sure change shirts. Is that just OCD or do you guys feel that way after going to a thrift store?
 
 
I was a little like...."what the what?" with this crazy figurine.


 
Is that freaky and funny to anyone else or just me?
 
And NOT at the DI but something I LOVE.....
 
I WANT THIS TABLE!!!!! So cute!
 


Soooo....I learned this week that for the first time in maybe TWELVE years... I am making ALL of Thanksgiving Dinner for my own little family. All our extended family has other plans. I am pretty excited! I always kind of felt bad that the kids would never have a memory of me making traditional Thanksgiving dinner. When I grew up we were away from all extended family. So it was all my mom's job. And I like those memories of her.

I just got done preparing my food list. I am going to make a Turtle cheese ball from Pinterest. IT LOOKED SO FUN and delicious. And hello? Teddy Grahams are too cute. (BTW!!! What's up with Hostess???? I didn't know they were really shutting down!!! I thought it was just a weird story or threat! Goodbye  Chocodiles and Ding Dongs. And Zingers. And Twinkies.)


 I'll admit that I am a bit terrified for Thanksgiving day. Terrified might seem extreme to you non food "addicts". But I have been working so darn hard at controlling myself that I am terrified of getting out of control. Which is so easy to do when yummy food is around and it is a holiday. You sorta feel entitled to indulge. And I know one day of indulging doesn't seem like a big deal but when you are tracking your calories and you really KNOW what you ate and the calories, etc...it CAN mess up a whole week. And because today I weighed less than I have in maybe 16 years....I am scared to go down that other path. It is just a very complicated issue. You don't want to be a nut but you can completely lose focus so very fast. It has been a very painful issue for me. I might blog about that more later. I'm not sure yet.

For the Sex Education class I made my FAVORITE vegetable Pizza. (An old Pamper Chef recipe) I could eat a whole pan. It is that yummy. Kristopher told me how good it was. Because I am a "words of affirmation" girl, and you know how much Kristopher means to me, and I don't necessarily have a reputation for being a good cook, I was very pleased about that.

And because a few have asked for the recipe...here you go.

Vegetable Pizza

2 (8oz) pkgs. Philadelphia cream cheese
3/4 c mayonnaise
1 tsp dill weed (I never use that)
1 T minced onion (I never use that :))
1 pkg. dry ranch dressing mix
2 can Pillsbury crescent rolls

Press 2 can Pillsbury crescent rolls in a large jelly roll pan and bake as directed. Cool. Top with mixture of cream cheese, dill, onion, and dressing mix. Now cut squares before topping with vegetables. Top with vegetables, cheddar cheese and olives.

Here are the vegetables I use...Carrots (grated), red pepper, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumber.

Today I was having a nap. You will NEVER find me having a nap unless it is Sunday. Kate came in and I lied when she asked me if I was sick. I told her I was hoping she would let me sleep. So the next thing I know, she brings me an orange and books to help me. Then she told me she was going to go get me some coffee. I had to laugh because we don't even drink coffee. Where does she get these things from!?

I finished her Christmas shopping. I am so very excited. She is getting the Little Pony wedding castle temple. Lol. And a Richard Scarry memory game. I adore Richard Scarry.

About the Sex education class... It has been interesting the different responses to the class. Some people were too shy to attend. Which is fine. I was a little nervous myself. Some people maybe thought it was inappropriate...idk for sure but I wonder if that is the case. Some people were extremely private that they were attending while I obviously, am not. Am I private about  much? It might be a weakness of mine. I can't decide.

But I have to say that after attending the class, I really thought it was so well done. It is such an important part of marriage so I think it makes perfect sense to go and learn and talk about it. It wasn't meant to be perverted. And it wasn't. It was meant to teach  attachment in marriage. Which makes for a happier life together and certainly happier kids.

I have always been very frank with my children about the subject  thanks to a very frank and wonderfully open and easy going mother (I love you!). And the class taught me that that was right and that I need to be even more frank and open with them. Because sex within marriage is not a bad thing and they are hearing all about it in life anyway. And they are hearing about it in bad ways. And as parents, we want our children to hear about it in the good ways. And we want them to feel safe to talk to us about it.

That's all. For today.


1 comment:

Timber said...

I feel the exact way after the DI. I go back to the car and use way to much antibacterial and still feel gross.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...