Thursday, November 29, 2012

I am going to snap. Just mentioning it. So you are all ready.


Another day of near crushing strain with the tasks of mother hood. I had like 6 places I had to transport kids to. And it is like that every day. It gets exhausting trying to keep everyone from touching the radio and fighting and adjusting the heat and rolling down the windows. I am seriously stressed after going in the car with them. Our van is dead and so we have been borrowing my dad's truck and so it is new and exciting. Sheesh.

Poor Bo. He had three timeouts in jujitsu. He didn't even want to go. He doesn't want to go because he gets timeouts.

I told him I would get him a cheeseburger if he had no time outs. He COULD NOT do it.

I know you all could say if I was stricter or expected more or held him accountable or did this or that, then Bo would behave. BUT. HE. LITERALLY. CAN. NOT. He wants to. He was very sad to be in the timeouts. HE. COULD. NOT. DO. IT.

He wasn't being mean. He was just wiggling EVERYWHERE and not listening. And the instructor is so wonderfully kind about it. But he has to have order.

So on the way home Bo recognized his old Dr. where we took him for meds. I said to Bo...

"Do you think the oil is working? Or should we go back to the pills."

He said the pills. I don't know if he knows. He probably doesn't remember the bad part of the pills.

But the problem with the oil is

1) It stinks.
2) You have to be diligent about applying it. And when I send it to school it becomes their problem and I am not sure they have time for it.
3) The 30 dollars worth of  oil was in a glass tube and BROKE in Bo's back pack today. UGH.
4) And I am not sure it is working. I need to talk to his teacher.

So...discouragement again.

I just saw a thing on Dr. Oz about adult women with ADHD and this Dr. had treated thousands of patients. He said if you can find the medicine that works they are VERY safe and have been around for over 70 years. He said they have an unwarranted horrible reputation.

I don't know what is best. I get tired of it being up to me to decide. It is hard to be the parent. I want to check myself in to a hotel and read and watch reality shows. Please who thinks I should do that also?

Oh!!! But I was going to tell you the whole reason I wrote this post! The oil was a concoction that my sweet friends Robyn and Melanie mixed for me. It is called  "Peaceful Child"

Bo told me he needed the "very very very very very peaceful child oil." BAHAAAA!!!! Super funny.

Also...on a happy note....Have you ever worn wool socks????? I had NO IDEA what was out there in the world that I was missing. Wool socks are the comfiest ever!!!! My boss gave me two pair and I have been a sock snob ever since. Trying to keep two pairs of sock washed is a pain so I got another pair.

Keens of course!

AWESOME!!!! For reals!!! You should try them. Your feet will love you. My friend Christina who must be a sock snob as well, saw me today. I showed her my new socks. She said without a moment hesitation.... "Are those wool socks?????" She must be a fellow sock snob. I couldn't believe she could tell from where she was sitting on the couch wrapped up in the craziest afghan I have EVER seen

2 comments:

Mattsmom said...

I soooooooo get you.
Even down to the wool socks...except that I prefer my hand knit will socks that my friend Kami made me!

Susan said...

Joanie said...I just feel like we are twins separated at birth or something.

Mary said...aren't they itchy-I have angora sock, warm, a little itchy

Viki Groberg Bailey I am a sock snob too - which is why I go at 5 am every black friday to fred meyers to get SOCKS!! Sorry about Bo. I hope the pills work for you guys.
November 29, 2012 at 10:54pm · Unlike · 2

Susan said...Mary....they are merino wool. So it is different.


Kim said...Hope you find the right treatment for Bo. You're a great mom who juggles a lot more than most of us.
PS: Smartwool socks are the best!

Christina said...Thank you again for the visit, it really did my soul good! I love you, Susan! And as far as being a sock snob, yes, but as you mentioned about my afghan, I am actually a yarn snob and wool is my favorite to work with!

Ronda said...Susan, I feel your pain. My youngest is ADD and watching her thru her school years...and even now has been so painful. You want the very best for your child, so making the right decision is crucial. I tried Everything before medicating her. The medication is so strong and has so many side effects you have to ask yourself if its worth it. We did oils, herbs...you name it we tried it. It finally came down to Pills vs bad grades, no friends and constantly being in trouble. I think maybe a combination of the above is the answer. If the oils/herbs help then the medication prescribed can be a lower dose. Also, sugar and food dyes and preservatives have been shown to make ADD/ADHD worse. Also for a few people I know that suffer, caffeine tends to do a reverse effect on them. If I drink caffeine I wouldn't be able to sleep for a week, but someone with ADD/ADHD it slows them down so they can concentrate. I know this isn't really any of my business, but this subject is dear to my heart and if I have said anything that may help then I just can't resist. My heart goes out to you There isn't any right or wrong answer, just do what works for you and him. Keep your chin up. xoxo

Ronda said...Ooooh and speaking of wool socks, have you tried Alpaca? Or Angora? lol

Melanie said...I love my wool socks, too .

Sherri said...Just FYI, Bo was awesome in 7th grade Buddies today!

Kirsten said...i wonder if caffeine actually would help. it slows me fown so i can focus. but that is just me. my brother is prescribed it on top of some other medicine. the caffeine is used as an adjuster to the medicine. kind of like a volume control of sorts.

Melanie said...My friend Kathleen used to give her son coffee to slow him down. She said it worked for his ADD.

Melanie said...Powell Not that I'm recommending coffee...I'm just agreeing with Kirsten, that I've heard of that before.

Susan said...I have heard that before also!

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...