Sunday, November 25, 2012

Dear My beautiful Sons and Dear random men,

I have to admit....

I am extraordinarily judgemental on men's manners  in opening doors for women. I JUST have a HUGE issue with it. Maybe I am wrong. I could be. But it is true.

I will probably think you less of a man if you do not hold the door for me. Sorry. And I don't mean you just go in first and hold the door open so I can grab the door. I mean you open the door and step back and let me in first. That is what I mean. I barely even think that other way counts. Barely.

I don't really care if you open the door for me to get in the car every time because that take a lot of time. But I so enjoy a man who will stop and let me go first. Whether you know me or not.

The other day one of the preschool dad's on a field trip did that for me. He totally didn't have to. He just went the extra mile to show me respect.

I have deep respect for that.

The other day a man WAITED for me holding the door for me. He didn't have to. I wasn't even super close. He was just being courteous because I am a lady. And I am telling you I super duper like that kind of respect and kindness.

My sons are so trained. And if they don't hold a ladies door, they better hear about it. Because they know. And they know to open it and stand back instead of just keeping it open when they are already in.

I think it is quite possible that men are nicer to me now that I have lost weight. It's nice that they are nice. But it hurts that I wasn't "good enough" before. I can't decide if I am making it up or if they really are nicer now. I think they really are. I don't think I am inventing it.

I am learning that we really need to be so so kind to people and their tender feelings. People matter. Being kind matters. No matter what we look like or our age or ones position in life, being kind matters. No matter our mistakes or our life's choices or our possible difficult personalities, or our different life's paths being kind matters. We are all on our own journey just trying to make it through and we need to be nice. People's feelings matter.

I guess that also means I need to cut a break to any of the men who aren't holding the door open for me properly.

Hmmm. I'll have to work that one out I guess.



No comments:

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...