Friday, July 23, 2010

Our first Chestnut rabbit! Very exciting color! VERY!

Justine's mama rabbit had a baby a week ago. We thought the baby had some kind of a deformity. It's head is wide and it's body is ginormous! My friend Alicia, our very own personal rabbit guru, insist it is just FAT! So fat that tonight it was on it's back and couldn't even get it self turned over! These rabbits can be hard to breed. They stomp their babies, don't get pregnant, eat their babies, ignore their babies, have their babies born dead, and now obesity is apparently a problem too! Rabbit guru says it's because it's an only child so it gets all it's mother's milk to its self. Some of it's siblings were born dead and one must have gotten stomped, so its all by itself.

I hope the ghastly, grody little thing lives.







Kate and Bo with cousin Macie and rabbit "Joey"

2 comments:

rondajsnow said...

...you can say that again. "what a little fatty" We've had that happen on more than one occasion, I was worried it had some sort of growth hormone problem, but eventually it's age caught up with it's weight and it was a perfectly normal rabbit.

Susan said...

Mary McDowell said... awe Joey is precious, love it's markings

Nancy Chamberlain said... Cute!

Wendy Whittekiend Chamberlain said... Zoe thinks the little rabbit is so cute, but I'm a little weirded out by the whole thing...

Susan Chamberlain Nielsen said...I know! It's grody! I keep having to go out and flip the thing over so it's not stuck on it's back!

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...