Tuesday, September 11, 2012

You know you love tiger ears!

So....the boss decided we had all worked hard to sell shoes. As per tradition, starting last year, the company buys us a tiger ear for doing so. A tigers ear is a bready, flat, fluffy, sconey, type thing, larger than a frisbi, with cinnamon and sugar all over. I have had a bite of one once and they are good. Sugar and cinnamon and bread? Did you have any doubts?

So on the last day of the fair after we had mostly cleaned up our booth of the remaining 400ish pairs of shoes and so we went to stand in line for a tiger ear.

It was 11:00. P.M. As in at night. We had worked a 12 plus hour day.

There were at least 100 other people in line.  (Nick is the tall guy in black toward the back)


I was like "what the what?"

"We are standing in line for this....?"

After working a twelve plus hour day? In a crazy line with 100 people? Staring at a kid who was stoned out of his mind? (I was sad at his wasted potential), With another person vomiting close to us?

My boss says, "It's tradition." (since last year. Does that even count?)

So since I am game for mostly what ever, I stood in line with him and Gus. Gus got us corn dogs.



And we waited. Actually Nick mostly just stood in line and Gus and I stood off to the side for support. I timed it. And annoyed him by taking pictures. We waited 28 minutes.

 
He's ALMOST there!!!!!
 

And then.....When Boss was this close to getting our bready, cinnamony, fair heaven....



(see how close he is?)

(see how he is about to walk away?)

The tiger ear workers announce they are ALL. OUT. OF. TIGER. EARS. We could not believe it.

It was sad. We were confused and befuddled. A little bit lost.

We had no choice but to  head to the fried oreos to start a new tradition.Closed.

Sadly, but still yummily, we ended up each picking out our own random treat.

Boss had a donut hamburger with an egg on it. Gus had cheesecake drizzled in chocolate. Boss's wife and I had strawberries dipped in chocolate.






I know I am the new girl and all but I am going to suggest that perhaps we change the tradition of getting tiger ears to maybe the night before the last day of the fair. Sounds like a plan!

Gus is taking home cotton candy to his twin girls. Aren't you so jealous? Twins! I wanted twins.

1 comment:

Terri Porter said...

Funny, we looked at that line, on our way out of the Derby and said, "No way in Hades are we standing in that line to get tigers ears. SO the next night we made them at home.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...