Sunday, October 11, 2009

My Testimony of the Book of Mormon, and Jeffrey R. Hollands...

Twice a year the leaders of our church hold a world wide conference where Latter Day Saints receive counsel, guidance, and hope. It is a time of great excitement for us as we nestle into our homes with our children and listen to the words of wisdom our leaders have for us. I am sure around the world not everyone is nestled in their home, some are at church buildings having it satellited to them, but for my family it feels like a little break from the world as we spend Sat and Sun listening to the literally awesome counsel. I do my best to listen amidst the ciaos of six children and we usually have some snacks or some conference packets for the children to take notes and play games with. This year I was especially proud to see my 15 year old take conference VERY seriously as she was given an assignment in seminary to take notes ect... She listened to EVERY speaker and it was neat to see her learning to embrace the things that are so important to me. In fact today I realized we forgot to fast. (As Latter Day Saints we set aside one Sunday a month for fasting.) When Kassidy realized we had forgotten she seemed a little upset. I told her we should fast next week. (HELLO! I don't know about you but sometimes when I forget it is a little relief because being hungry is just not that much fun!) But my sweet, dutiful, faithful, daughter in all seriousness agreed that we should fast next week. What a great example to me! So we are going to!

I have been thinking how neat technology is these days and that we have so much of the world at our finger tips through the Internet. I was so in LOVE with President Hollands talk from conference that I wanted to post it for all to see and bare my testimony, along with his, for Heaven and all to read, that I know the Book of Mormon is a true book. Elder Holland said that he wanted it on "record with men on earth and angels in heaven" and so do I. He said he wants it known when he goes to the "judgement bar of God that I declared to the world in the most straight forward language that I could summon, that the Book of Mormon is true. That it came forth the way Joesph said it came forth and was given to bring happiness and hope to the faithful in the travail of the last day." I want that known for me as well. I want it known that I believe in the Book of Mormon. I believe Joseph Smith saw Jesus and His Father. I believe Joesph translated the Book of Mormon. I also believe in the Bible. Elder Holland said in his talk that the Book of Mormon supports the Bible and that the Bible is the word of God. The Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ. The Book of Mormon is about Christ's teachings in America.

I loved his talk so much. I love how Elder Holland spoke with such conviction and power. Hearing his talk increased my testimony and made me think "Yea! That is so true" over and over. I loved the power. I love Joesph Smith. I am amazed at all he did for the truth. How does he do all he did and I barely can get my scriptures read daily? It is shameful. I will do better.

I love Jesus Christ as my Savior. I am excited for this earthly journey and my chance to prove to Him my love and grow as a person and be able to partake of all the Redemption He has to offer me. I need it.

I have taken the scriptures far too lightly I am ashamed to say. What a gift we have. I am about 1/2 way through the Book of Mormon. I won't even dare say how long it has taken me to get THAT far. It is my goal to finish reading it by Christmas. I will start tomorrow. If I can do two chapters a day I will make it. My kid reads 10 minutes a night dutifully! If she is doing it how do I dare not to! Then it is my goal to read it personally once a year for sure if not more. I would also like to read it once with my children every year. I have a slight compulsion with comparing my life to Little House on the Prairie. I think of the Ingals and their "no electricity" issue and what they filled their time doing in the evening. Sewing, listening to pa play the violin, school work, reading the Bible. How simple that would be. How difficult it is for us to get our lives that simple that we can sit around the table at night and study scripture. How do we do that? I pray that I may declutter my life so I can accomplish that goal. I do believe that it is one of the most important things I can be doing with my children. Why does EVERYTHING else come first? I just get blinded by all the other things in life that SEEM important.

I love the gospel of Jesus Christ. I love the Book of Mormon. I pray that my testimony will grow stronger as I study.

Please enjoy Jeffrey R. Hollands talk and feel the power.





To learn more about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or to receive a free copy of the Book of Mormon click on the link to the side with the picture of Christ. It will take you to our church site. Thanks for your interest and time.

Also WAY to go Kassidy! She must have been born with some genetic computer ability coming from Corey because she knew how to get this youtube video on my blog without much trouble at all. She can figure these computer things out so easily. How embarrassing that I am already a fuddy duddy with technology!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome Susan. I too know it is true and am uber-grateful for it in my life. I will try to follow your example and finish before the end of the year! Thanks for the inspiring post! Love it.

Idahomomof7 said...

I loved his remarks also; the power was almost tangible. Thanks for your testimony!

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...