Wednesday, October 28, 2009

grody, disgusting nerve damage

A few months ago I had carpal tunnel releases done on both hands. Not a big deal, everything went smooth, but because I had "the worst nerve damage" the Dr. had seen all year we were both concerned if the surgery had, at the least, stopped the nerve decay. If it didn't stop it then I would eventually become a claw hand. If it did work then it would stop the damage and hopefully start to heal. I had pregnancy induced carpal tunnel and have had it for about eight years. When I was pregnant with Rhett (now 8) my hand would be cinched into a tight fist by morning that I would literally have to bend back out. I have had numb fingers for a long time and just have become so use to it. It drives Corey crazy because if I ever need to feel anything I use my pinkie or I will pick things up with my pinkie and ring fingers, etc... He thinks it looks like alien fingers.

After years of this problem I saw my hand start to do this.......




That is when I decided, "Hmmm maybe I should get that checked out." Dumb, I know. See where I have no padding on the "pad" of my hand... It is lots better now.

So I went to see the ADORABLE Dr. Biddulph today to get a 7 week post surgical update (wow, listen to me all technical).

Although I am still numb on my left three fingers he thinks I am making progress and so do I. It is hard to tell however since it takes a whole year to recover. But we are fairly certain it will not continue to decay. Thankfully, because I enjoy finger movement. That is a good thing to have.

When the doctor came in to see me he said, (This Dr. is a doll and I am not even kidding)

"Hi, Sus"

Warm, sweet feelings from my childhood washed over me. Love that.

Good to live in a day and age where claw hands and other ailments can be prevented!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"because i enjoy finger movement"... my favorite line. you are hilarious, sus!

Janetlee said...

Hooray! The surgery worked! My mom just had a surgery that wasn't successful. She is discouraged.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...