Thursday, December 20, 2012

Today the Dr. told me my son likely has Osgood-Schlatter disease.

Great.

Just great.

First off, any time someone tell you your child has a disease, your heart drops to the bottom of your feet. I felt a minute of complete panic. But I stayed calm because my boy was watching me for a reaction. I could see him look at me out of my sideways (spell check can't find perifial) vision while I was staring at our Dr. of 18 years. I see this Dr. on purpose because he is very chilled. My ADHD boys can maul him and he doesn't really react.

But he also just announces my kid has a disease like it is no big deal. And what a bizarreo name!!!!

Osgood-Schlatter disease.

To my relief the disease goes away once your bones quit going with no ill affect.

The disease lasts during adolescence "like acne and bad attitudes". So says Dr. P.

Okay....So...I am pretty good at rolling with the punches. This disease will suck a bit for my boy but it will go away with no ill affect. So if you are going to have to have a disease then this is probably the one to have.

The saddest part is....this disease affects your ability to play sports because your knees are constantly sore. And my boy who has this disease is Rhett. Who isn't good at reading and writing, but has natural talent in basketball. And loves jujitsu. And can slam the base ball out of the ball park. And now he has achy knees and will need.to tell the coach when he needs to sit out. And he will be sore for years. Heat and ice and ibuprofen and rest are the only friends this disease has.

Oh life isn't fair is it.


Symptoms

By Mayo Clinic staff

Signs and symptoms of Osgood-Schlatter disease include:
  • Pain, swelling and tenderness at the bony prominence on the upper shinbone, just below the kneecap
  • Knee pain that worsens with activity — especially running, jumping and climbing stairs — and improves with rest
  • Tightness of the surrounding muscles, especially the thigh muscles (quadriceps)
The pain varies from person to person. Some have only mild pain while performing certain activities, especially running and jumping. For others, the pain is nearly constant and debilitating. Osgood-Schlatter disease usually occurs in just one knee, but sometimes it develops in both knees. The discomfort can last from weeks to months and may recur until your child has stopped growing.
Rhett has been hobbling around with sore knees for over a month. Poor boy. It is sad . Thankful it isn't permanent but sad to see him hobble.
Tonight I was given sweet and gentle advice from a friend and her husband. I was discussing my stress over feeling like I would  be wise to go back to school and get a career sometime in the near future. But I also feel AGONY over that choice  All I ever wanted to be was a stay at home mom and raise children and devote my time to their welfare. 
But life is changing. The financial aspects of trying to raise all these kids is kicking our hiney's. And there are other reasons I feel like I need to go back to school. It wasn't in my plans but I think it might be best.
I was telling my friend and her husband these things. He told me a really great story about his own life. And how sometimes things don't work out the way we planned. But that it is okay and to not be so hard on myself. It was sweet and gentle and really really kind and soothing.

No comments:

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...