Monday, February 25, 2013

Be impeccable with your word and you won't believe what was inside my bag of M&M's!


I am reading a GREAT book.

Occasionally in therapy Kristopher would say..."read this book." And I would. Because I love assignments.  And I love books. And I love to shop for used books on Amazon. And I love a nightstand full of books just cluttering the table up. Sometimes I think Kristopher was actually surprised that I would read his assigned books.

Nowadays I just say to him "what is my next book?"

So this was my next book. (I paid less then five dollars for it including shipping)

When I first read what it was about I knew why Kristopher assigned it to me. I have had a few problems with these topics during therapy.

I decided to go over each "agreement" on my blog because I want my kids to learn about them.

Holy cow do I think these "agreements" are VALUABLE.

The First Agreement 

Be impeccable with your word. Speak
with integrity. Say only what you mean. 
Avoid using the word to speak against
yourself or to gossip about others. Use the 
power of your word in the direction of
truth and love.

This "agreement" talks about how powerful our word is. The spoken word is a gift that is straight from God.

"The word is so powerful that one word can change or destroy the lives of millions of people" And the author uses the example of Hitler. "some years ago one man in Germany, by the use of the word, manipulated a whole county of the most intelligent people. He led them into a worlds war with just the power of his world. He convinced others to commit the most atrocious act of violence."

He says..."The human mind is like a fertile ground where seeds are continually being planted. The seeds are opinions, ideas, and concepts." 

"One fear or doubt planted on our mind can create an endless drama of events. One word is like a spell, and humans use the word like black magicians, thoughtlessly putting spells on each other. "

"Every human is a magician, and we can either put a spell on someone with our word or we can release someone from a spell."

I thought this was so interesting! And true. Someone could simply say "Hmmm, you are so stupid." Then you take that "agreement" on yourself and think you are so stupid. "Then one day someone hooks your attention and using the word, lets you know that you are not stupid. As a result you no longer feel or act stupid. A whole spell is broken just by the power of the  word. Conversely  if you believe you are stupid, and someone hooks your attention and says, "Yes, you are really the most stupid person I have ever met," the agreement will be reinforces and become even stronger."

I suppose as you get older you might have the ability to fight believing these things that others may say. But as a child you likely don't. And the words we use as parents is extremely important. You probably have all seen this floating around Face Book.



So it goes on to say we should be impeccable with our word. "Impeccable comes from the Latin pecatus,which means "sin". The im in impeccable , means without," so impeccable means without sin."

The author talks about how when we use the word for bad we are sending emotional poison out which also hurts ourselves. And it is also a sin to reject yourself.

The author tells a story about a mom who was tired from work  Her cute little girl was singing away. The mother lost it and said to be quiet and that her singing was terrible. The little girl would never sing again and forever thought she was a terrible singer.

"How many times do we do this with our own children? We give them these types of opinions and our children carry that black magic for years and years" So true.

I LOVED what it said about gossip. The author calls it the worst form of black magic. He calls it pure poison. And after reading this....I wholeheartedly agree. And I am ashamed of anytime I ever took part in it.

He says "Gossiping has become the main form of communication in human society. It has become the way we feel close to each other, because it makes us feel close to each other, because it makes us feel better to see someone else feel as badly as we do"

"Imagine that every single time others gossip to you, they insert a computer virus into your mind, causing you to think a little less clearly every time.. Then imagine that in an effort to clean up your own confusion and get some relief from the poison, you gossip and spread these viruses to someone else."

It just goes on and on with some really valuable insights.

Basically "when you become impeccable with your word, your mind is no longer fertile ground for words that come from black magic. Instead it is fertile for the words that come from love."

The author talks about how important it is to use loving impeccable words on YOURSELF. He says to use the "word" to break up all those little things that have possible hurt us as children (Like the girl who was told she couldn't sing).

I am already almost done with the book. It has been a simple little read so far and very enlighting  I had to have an emergency session with Kristopher today. That hasn't happened in more then eight months. I have been having a lot of anxiety over some things going on within myself. We discussed this book. When I told him about something I had learned and how interesting I thought it was his whole face lit up and he was seriously so pleased I had "got" it.

Okay...on to more important things.

I have the dearest friends. Stunning Kirsten being one of them.


Today she brought me this little treat...

A BAG OF M&M's with ALL brown in them.I was so stunned when I opened the bag. I was like "what connections DO YOU HAVE that could get me a sealed packet of M&M's with ALL BROWN in them?"

She confessed she opened up the back and taped it back up. ha ha. I was so stunned I hadn't even thought of that! Duh!

Sweet friend!


No comments:

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...